Calvert Cliff Croc bone?

Miocene_Mason

Looking for confirmation here, is this a croc skull bone or osteoderm? I was putting all my Brownies beach finds into one box and I saw it and immediately picked it up, I don’t know how I missed it! Croc material is pretty uncommon on the cliffs, so if even this one inch bit is croc I’d be super happy!

AC13594B-0ED1-4355-B1D4-1ECC5DB1A6D0.jpeg

1428018D-A613-499F-B2F8-B21F9A06D459.jpeg

5B375BE6-085B-4EFF-92EE-104143775A31.jpeg

F8559C72-5638-4E3D-A126-49516BD6F69B.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Definitely resembles a piece of Croc skull, though the bottom looks a bit strange.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

29 minutes ago, PaleoRon said:

Looks like a sturgeon scute.

Now that would be even cooler!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Okay then, I’ll bring in some more experts to clear it up, how about

@MarcoSr @Al Dente 

for starters, sorry to bother y’all. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

Below are pictures, starting at the left, of a piece of a Miocene croc jaw (2"X4"), Miocene croc scute (3 1/2"X5"), and a partial Miocene sturgeon scute (2"X1 1/2") for you to compare your specimen to.  All of the croc scutes and sturgeon scutes that I have are smooth on the back unless damaged.  Most of a croc's jaws and skull are pitted and wavy (like my croc jaw specimen) except portions of the snout and skull which have a pattern similar to a scute ( like my croc scute specimen) especially the top of the skull between and behind the eye sockets.  From what I can see in the pictures, your specimen looks like a small piece of the top of a croc skull to me.

IMG_2228.JPG.620e577f79b04562eda1ecb838316c2d.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG.705e29cd5c40891556f9457c80397107.JPG

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 6

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

4 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

From what I can see in the pictures, your specimen looks like a small piece of the top of a croc skull to me.

Thanks! That confirms it being my first piece of a croc from the cliffs! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

58 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thanks! That confirms it being my first piece of a croc from the cliffs! 

The best way to confirm it would be to take the specimen to a museum like the Calvert Marine Museum where they can see the specimen in person.  From the pictures, it is possible that the specimen could be a damaged sturgeon scute.  A sturgeon scute would be lighter than a piece of croc skull.  So you really need to feel the weight and look closely at the back side to be certain.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Also plus 1 for crocodile scute possibly skull don't want to jump that far ahead as not confident enough with my crocodiles :ighappy:

• 2 weeks later...

You have ny vote for it being a piece of croc skull :) Now go find the rest of it! :D

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

On 5/27/2018 at 3:41 PM, MarcoSr said:

The best way to confirm it would be to take the specimen to a museum like the Calvert Marine Museum where they can see the specimen in person.  From the pictures, it is possible that the specimen could be a damaged sturgeon scute.  A sturgeon scute would be lighter than a piece of croc skull.  So you really need to feel the weight and look closely at the back side to be certain.

Marco Sr.

I may do that, though I’m feel that croc is right.

On 5/27/2018 at 7:11 PM, Haravex said:

Also plus 1 for crocodile scute possibly skull don't want to jump that far ahead as not confident enough with my crocodiles :ighappy:

Thanks!

47 minutes ago, Jesuslover340 said:

You have ny vote for it being a piece of croc skull :) Now go find the rest of it! :D

Thanks!

I’ll certainly try! 

Happy hunting,

Mason