Sign in to follow this  
Trilobiting

Any Sites in San Diego?

Trilobiting

I'm at San Diego for this weekend, and I'd like to know if there are any good fossil sites around there. I understand that many fossils in San Diego have been covered up or destroyed due to land development. If anyone knows of a fossil site, please reply or PM me.

I've heard that Pacific Beach has some fossilized shells at its shore, has anybody been there to confirm this?

Thanks,

Seann

caldigger

I used to live in Ocean Beach for a number of years just down the sand from P.B., I don't recall there being many shells to be found on the beach in San Diego period. I wish you luck though.

There was a member on here a few years back that posted Great White teeth he used to find in SD. Not sure he is on here anymore.

siteseer
On 5/26/2018 at 6:44 PM, Trilobiting said:

I'm at San Diego for this weekend, and I'd like to know if there are any good fossil sites around there. I understand that many fossils in San Diego have been covered up or destroyed due to land development. If anyone knows of a fossil site, please reply or PM me.

I've heard that Pacific Beach has some fossilized shells at its shore, has anybody been there to confirm this?

Thanks,

Seann

Hi Seann,

Back in the 90's, I heard that people found shark teeth at Pacific Beach (San Diego Formation), but in recent years, collecting has been frowned upon if not outlawed.  They don't want people digging in any case.

I would do a search of this forum because I think someone talked about finding Pleistocene shells somewhere around Mission Bay (Bay Point Formation, i think).  I don't know if collecting is still allowed there so look into that as well.

Jess