Dolphin tooth from Sharktooth Hill?

-Andy-

Hi all, can anyone tell if this is a dolphin tooth, and what species it is? It's a gift from @JBMugu

It comes from Sharktooth Hill of Bakerfield, California. Round Mountain Silt Member of the Temblor Formation. It measures 1.7 inches long.

Could it be Kentriodon?

P1140693.JPG

P1140688c.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

18 hours ago, ynot said:

Hey Andy,

Nice tooth.

You may find this thread useful...

Thanks, I can see the similarities here.

@Boesse Any idea?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Can’t help with any info sorry but I just wanted to say it is a stunning tooth. :wub:

I find some with thin roots and others with more bulbous roots. See picture for comparison. 

C7E6C1C8-BC3D-4621-BAF9-5D38D5B36FB1.jpeg

Odontoceti indet. - not possible to identify further. It is a large tooth that could come from several of the medium sized non-sperm whale dolphins. There are a host of published/unpublished kentriodontids, which I think this is closest to, but the teeth of most homodont odontocetes all blend together.

Archived