Newbie needing an ID

Rauv

haleudgesllifernakristlanthc.jpg

As always,ultrastructural detail is needed for a conclusive id.

Just thought it might be useful to include some systematics here

below:detailed histology of Ptychodus teeth,fig 2 from the lowermost is perhaps informative in this context

histpuhaleudgesllifernakristlanthc.jpg

epokie2udgesllifernakristlanthc.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Very good references Ben. I take my comment about the pores not having a nuclear appearance.

Are those osteocytes?

Whatever the case the tooth still doesn’t seem to have the consistent shape and connected chain like structure which the coral has.

Maybe @HansTheLoser  May have some insight. They are big into corals if I recall correctly.

Troodon is very good at teeth, but he doesn’t come up in the tag list when you type the @ symbol. He may want some peace from being tagged so often for teeth. He’s more into dino not shark teeth now that I think of it.

10 hours ago, KimTexan said:

@Tidgy's Dad aren't you into corals? I seem to remember @Nimravis having some too. I know a lot of members are into it, but I can't remember who.

Thanks for thinking of me, Kim! :)

But, alas, though i love fossil corals, I don't know a huge amount about them, really, and i still have a shark tooth vibe about this.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Kim, you need to put 2 "o" :)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Not in Paleozoic Kim. I do mainly mid Jurassic up to Eocene, rarely Neogene and Extant.

I first thought coral as well. I believe the white spots in the coral are the result of agatization, as is seen in many fossil corals (like my own). The pylop wall fossilizes with a different color agate in the center. I personally don't know if this is a shark tooth, but if I picked it up in my area, I'd instantly think it was coral. I know encrusting corals usually have very dense pylops, so I think that your fossil might be that of encrusting coral. If it is- I like agate, nice find! I have found red horn corals and blue/light blue bryozoan fossils that are the colorful result of agatization. But, I do Ordovician fossils- the (Pennsylvanian?) is some 120 million years later, if I recall correctly. I'd wait for someone who does fossils from within your area. That is always best.

Unfortunately the specimen is partial and worn, also we don't know the geological age of it. It could be Pennsylvanian or younger, so everything is just a guess.
I'm thinking of something close to Acrodus, based on the visual evidence, considering also what looks like a continuous longitudinal ridge at the top of it. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yes, Coco is right @Troodon is an expert aside with @Al Dente.

Welcome from France.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

This definitely looks like the partial crown of a Paleozoic shark tooth to me rather than a Ptychodus sp., from the ridges I'd say perhaps a Campodus or possibly Orodus. This crown is composed of tubular orthodentine and the pores are known as dentine tubules. Its thought these cavities helped the tooth withstand compression force without shattering. Some Mesozoic teeth such as Asteracanthus also have this feature. Nice find btw!

Regards,

Sam

• I found this Informative 7

I have never seen a coral with such tiny corallites and no septa. The truthyness is in the toothyness :)