My Best Find Of 2009!

eboe101

I finally reached a breaking point this weekend and drove to the NSW even though it was 100 degrees and hadn't rained in quite some time. My girlfriend also came along and we spent approx. four hours combing a secluded area that most people do not hunt near.

We found the usual ammonites and my girlfriend found a fish tooth, but right as we were leaving, I found the best vertebrae that I have ever seen from the NSW. It was almost completely in the mud and I noticed it because it was along the path out.

What really stood out to me besides the excellent quality was the size of the vert. I have fairly large hands, and it is almost fist-sized. I was curious if any of you could tell me the location of the vert from the mosasaur, i.e., cervical, and what is the probable species.

I also found "flat" pieces of bone that look as if they might be from the flippers of a mosasaur. I'll post more pictures later this weekend.

Thanks!!

post-1498-1250660213_thumb.jpg

nsw?

you could try showing the picture to mike at oceans of kansas. but you need to add size reference or dimensions.

Pretty cool looking vert. :) Try taking pics from all sides. I'm sure one of these guys can tell you more about it.

Did you mean NSR? (that looks eligible for the find of the month contest)?

Tracer, you silly goose, that's the North Sulphur Wivver, of course......

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice vert, I know of three types of Mosasaurs that can be found in the NSR drainage basin.From largest to smallest.

Tylosaurus Proriger

Globidens sp.

Clidastes propython

It's going to be difficult to assign one of these Mosasaur species to a lone vert without contacting an expert.

Your vertebra is a beauty! Like sk64(Barry) mentioned, it would be difficult to ID the species. However, referencing Russell's Systematics and Morphology of American Mosasaurs, it seems your vertebra is from the latter part of cervical series, or first few dorsal vertebrae (back of the neck).

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice find , the NSR has lots of surprises for everyone .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Archived