Fossil/Bone Identification on beach

toriec

Hi! I’m new on here and not super familiar with fossils.

However, today I was walking on the beach in Hatteras Village, Hatteras Island, North Carolina (a part of the Outerbanks). 

I stumbled upon what appears to be an old bone of some sort. For the life of me, I can’t figure out what type of bone it is/which animal it is from. Any ideas?? The photo is posted below. For some reason, the other photos won’t upload, so I will try to upload them in the replies hopefully. 

2C72FE0B-B350-4F00-9BFB-1B21158E377F.thumb.jpeg.cd1eb3dc1d0edcb534178999df572971.jpeg

Welcome to TFF!

This is most likely a whale bone, but there is no diagnostic detail to be able to be sure even of that.

We usually call bone like this "chunkasaurus".

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yeah, outside has been worn. Whale bone typically has a solid unspongy outer layer. If that was there it’s been worn away. Hold a flame to it, if it smells like burnt hair it’s not a fossil. If it doesn’t smell, it’s a fossil. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived