Fossils in Fallen Rock - Whirlpool State Park (Niagara River), NY

LTDC

Hello! I found this rock along the trail at the bottom of the canyon in Whirlpool State Park, NY, along the Niagara River. Very curious to know what the fossils might be. The rock was in a pile of recently fallen shale from the side of the canyon. I was tempted to keep it, but left it there for others to find and enjoy! Thanks for your help! 

IMG_7447.JPG

Edited by LTDC

Nice find! Good Eye!

The long screw-like fossils look to be the stems of crinoids. The more fan-like or net-like fossils appear to be bryozoans. From what I can quickly turn up online, it appears that Whirlpool State Park exposes rock faces of Ordovician and Silurian age rocks and this would match with the fossils you found. Most state (and national) parks tend to have rules against taking home items from within the park so you probably did right by leaving the rock there for others to possibly discover after you.

Welcome to TFF! You'll find lots of information on this forum to feed your curiosity for fossils. You can search this forum (or the internet at large) using the terms "ordovician" and "crinoid" or "bryozoan"  and you'll find lots of photos to learn more about your find. You may wish to add "Whirlpool State Park" to your internet search as well and you may turn up webpages discussing the items you found in more detail.

If your interest in fossils is piqued, you'll find lots of great information here as well as some TFF members in your area who may be able to aid a new addiction for hunting fossils. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

I also agree. 

And a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Nice find. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png