Question about dolomite powder for micro abrasion

ranitomeya

I have been reading through the threads about dolomite powder as a blasting medium for cleaning trilobites.  Am I correct in my understanding that to get the range consistenty around 40 microns you need to run the powder through a 325 mesh sieve?  I am assuming the dolomite powder available from places like the pottery supply house is not consistently in range of 40 microns, and will need to be sifted.  Is there a place to buy 40 micron dolomite than anyone can recommend.  (Someplace along the London to Toronto corridor would be ideal)

Thanks in advance!

I dont know where to get 40 micron powder or even a sifter, but you may want to try Bicarb first.  Dolomite cuts quite a bit faster and can even damage fossils if not careful enough.  Depends on the rock and also how the fossil is preserved.

RB

• I found this Informative 1

12 hours ago, ranitomeya said:

I have been reading through the threads about dolomite powder as a blasting medium for cleaning trilobites.  Am I correct in my understanding that to get the range consistenty around 40 microns you need to run the powder through a 325 mesh sieve?  I am assuming the dolomite powder available from places like the pottery supply house is not consistently in range of 40 microns, and will need to be sifted.  Is there a place to buy 40 micron dolomite than anyone can recommend.  (Someplace along the London to Toronto corridor would be ideal)

Thanks in advance!

Pottery Supply House, for sure. They sell dolomite under the name "Dolocron" and it is very fine. I use it in my Paasche without any pre-sifting. No blockages yet. Do not get Dolofil as that will clog.

https://www.psh.ca/index.php?query=dolocron

For those in Ontario, you can order online or drive there. There are two locations:

Main Retail Store and Production Facility

The Pottery Supply House - 1120 Speers rd, Oakville, ON, Canada L6L 2X4

Ph: 1-800-465-8544 (From CAN and US) Ph: (905)849-5540, Fax: (905)849-0001 (Local and International)

Hours: Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri 7:30 am to 4 pm, Thursday 7:30 am - 6:00 pm, Sat 9am to 1pm (Eastern Time)

**Closed Saturdays between Canada Day and Labour Day

Retail Store

S & S Pottery Supplies - @ Globe Studios 141 Whitney Place #24, Kitchener, ON, Canada N2G 2X8

Ph: (519)743-4252 (Local) Ph: 1-800-465-8544 (Within Canada and USA)

Hours: Tues, Wed, Fri 10:00 am to 4 pm, Thurs 10 am - 6 pm, *Sat 9 am -1 pm, Closed Sun, Mon, 
*Closed Saturdays between Canada Day and Labour Day

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Sorry to ask an additional question here but better to find the answer here rather than start a new topic, where can you find dolomite powder in Europe or specifically in U.K. as I have not been able to find any that is actually dolomite.

12 hours ago, Haravex said:

Sorry to ask an additional question here but better to find the answer here rather than start a new topic, where can you find dolomite powder in Europe or specifically in U.K. as I have not been able to find any that is actually dolomite.

I do not know if there are any British prepper on TFF!

Maybe @Ludwigia will know of an european source.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

325 mesh is approximately 40 micron which is what the majority of the dolocron is. You only need to grade the dolocron if you are using extremely small nozzle sizes. With an air eraser it is fine out of the bag unless you are in high humidity when baking first at 225 centigrade for 30 minutes helps prevent clogging. I grade my media through 30,100,120, 170, 200 and 325 mesh sieves throwing out anything that will not pass through a 120 mesh. Pottery supply house sells dolocron in 1 ,5 ,10 and 50 pound lots . Since I live close to PSH I pick up the large bags for a number of preppers when I go. I get a small discount for buying several hundred pounds at a time. 

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks Malcomt! I was hoping you would chime in.  I just got one of the Vaniman problast units and want to try running the dolocron with it through a .026 nozzle.