Removing Glue Residue

SULLY

Just curious what the trick is to removing that white residue that happens with super glue sometimes when it seeps out of the cracks when two pieces are glued and pressed together. I have a couple of hadrosaur processes that have been previously glued that I would like to clean up. I’ve seen people use acetone, but I’m not just going to guess that is okay to do. There’s no coloring or filler done on the specimens. So that’s not a concern. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely, J 

Acetone works to dissolve Super Glue or cyanoacrylate glues. I keep acetone handy while I am gluing to dissolve excess glue or unstick fingers from each other or from the fossil.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

acetone

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Acetone for sure. From my experience I recommend brushing the acetone onto the seam in/over a container. It does a great job of removing cyanoacrylate and also breaks up a lot of matrix, but just be mindful that if the glue has also been used to consolidate any punky material—which it was in my case—that the acetone will also loosen that material up as well. I was working on a rib and I found myself bouncing back and forth between breaking up previous seams with the acetone, and immediately reconsolidating neighboring material with cyano.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

33 minutes ago, SULLY said:

That sounds frustrating 

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.  : )

Archived