Denton Creek (Duck Creek Formation) ID

KimTexan

I went hunting today. I hit 2 places. Found lots of ammonites. I lost count after a while. Anyway, my last stop was Denton Creek North of Ft.Worth.

The formation is Duck Creek. Found a number of ammonites, 1 nautilus and a couple echinoids. There were also a lot of the typical burrows, oysters and Neithia. I say all that so you get the environment and other fossils present. 

I also found this (see pics below), I’ve never found anything remotely like it so I have no clue what it is. It was in a layer of what I believe to be limestone in an exposure along the bank. I had to hammer it out to bring home.

At first I thought it could be something in the echinoderm family with all the small bumps along the side, but so far I’m not seeing any ambulacra. Also it seems to be cylendrical in shape, but I don’t have it exposed from the matrix yet so I could be wrong about it being cylendrical.

I’d kind of like a clue as to what it is before proceeding with extraction so that I don’t botch the extraction and mess up the fossil, because I didn’t know the shape. It appears to be generally the length and size of my index finger about 3 inches long maybe 1/2 inch in diameter.

here is a pic from the side. There are little rows or columns of bumps. The rows seem to be every few mm apart. You can only see 1 row here. The ones on the exposed surface are worn down and barely noticeable, but they’re there.

3D7297FB-3EC3-48F0-84A2-2DF967CA72B8.thumb.jpeg.c9dec1a56385e27c66dbea4d5116927d.jpeg

This is from the other side. You can see the end is broken off. I’m calling this end the top end.

51F82F0D-8848-45D6-87A4-32226EF9D74E.thumb.jpeg.21e2e11d2c4d1b8ae2dbccba21a9efa0.jpeg

Heres a slightly different angle of the top end. Notice the 3 pointy protrusions on the broken end. I’m not sure if that is an artifact of the break or anatomy relative to the specimen.

FF5ECAE8-B967-465D-A62B-3F15223768BE.thumb.jpeg.771923db9153ec2694dfaabc783978fa.jpeg

This is a shot of the exposed broken end. I have been trying to remove the matrix. It’s fairly soft so it’s easy to scratch so extraction is going slowly. Under what matrix I have removed are more rows of bumps.

EF582E05-A482-4308-B462-E65FA0079955.thumb.jpeg.3751bb66ed9d2c3c428f4ab8d8d546b8.jpeg

Any help with ID even as to the type of organism it is, would be very much appreciated.

I kind of wonder if when I’ll see it exposed I’ll have one of those “D’oh!” moments and it will be so obvious. Right now nothing rings a bell. I have no clue whatsoever what it may be. 

Thanks

Kim

• I found this Informative 4

Ynot beat me to it while I was looking for a similiar image. See section of claw next to pincers on a 65 mya shrimp from Belgium. Note series of bumps.

IMG_0398.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Wonder how that would prep out with some hot melted butter? :drool:

• I found this Informative 6

crab or lobster appendage

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

Wonder how that would prep out with some hot melted butter? :drool:

And some Old Bay:wub:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very cool! Thank you. I was wondering if that might be the case. The Duck Creek is full of large burrows. I’ve thought for some time that one of these days I have to come upon a crustacean that was making them.

I’m happy to have found it even if it is only a fragment. 

I found a good size nautilus near it. Maybe this was part of his last meal.

• I found this Informative 2

Agree with the others. 

Really great find, Kim. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

10 hours ago, doushantuo said:

useful?

14 mb!

Thank you. You’re always so helpful with the reference articles. I really like and respect you for your helpfulness.

Kinda hoping you'll land this one soon:P

Walnut Clay,Albian of Texas(Juglocarcinus),can post this one if so desired

Nodule artificially coloured

26f5t4ee44e5tmedtr2m35pltwillist.jpg

2 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Kinda hoping you'll land this one soon:P

26f5t4ee44e5tmedtr2m35pltwillist.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but what is special about that one? Are they in the Duck Creek Formation? The matrix doesn’t look like most of the Duck Creek I’ve seen, but there is a layer of red in the upper Duck Creek I’ve come across a few times. That looks a bit like the Britton Formation of the Eagle Ford group.

What genus/species is it.

I don’t know if you saw my posts on the Britton, but I’ve found maybe 8 crabs. Although I have not had time to process.

My love is the hunt and the adventure of it. Processing can be a bit of a drag or mundane. 

5 hours ago, old bones said:

That's a nice bit of crab Kim!

You think it is from a crab? What kind of crab would that be? That would be a big crab. The piece is just a portion of an appendage and it is about 3 inches long. I was leaning towards lobster. Lobster burrows are abundant in the Duck Creek.

This pic isn’t from the site I found this piece in, but similar burrows in were present, but not in this scale where I found this piece. These slabs are 6 x 5 feet in some places. There are whole sheets of these in places. The networks are enormous!

85D9AF1B-44FA-45DE-ADE1-96295E05F95A.jpeg.0ae9ce633f3c1849845538183421c242.jpeg

DE4D7F0F-40B2-4CDF-ADC0-53241C07E4AC.jpeg.86eef88ad4bd9e621ff4ce6da1a70d0b.jpeg

40B8E8A1-79FB-4573-B495-A168BDD70677.jpeg.9e7b3974600fe2e3410ed01426697fab.jpeg

The pics are take in the Duck Creek in Grayson county.

I’m not sure but I tend to think the bubble looking ones are crab and the long ones are lobster. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

The type near where I found this were the long ones.

Of course in the pics both existed side by side.

I found the specimen esthetically pleasing,is all

Remember that Holland is the Sahara of fossils

Ben,

From the first few weeks I was on TFF I have wondered where you were from. Your profile always gave some elusive location. After all this time I finally know.

I certainly hope you get to go hunting in other locals. If not we should all be sending fossils your way. You contribute a lot to TFF in the helpful and relevant references you provide so frequently.

• I found this Informative 3

I agree with Kim. Ben, you do a great service by finding appropriate literature. @doushantuo

I too wonder where you are from. Some clues: you write using British spellings; you claimed that you live in a hydrologically threatened area; you often cite Dutch literature; you recently compared Holland to the Sahara. My guess is that you live in the Netherlands. I wonder if Kim thinks that your quote "Remember that Holland is the Sahara of fossils" is an admission that you are Dutch? I'm not sure.

We still love and respect you even if you want to keep your locality secret. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I never made a secret from the fact we have an (originally) Argentine queen.

Heb zelfs een paar keer wat dingetjes gepost in my native language,Gebruik graag original British spelling

12 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

Nice Find! I have never seen any crustacean material from the Duck Creek before, but maybe @BobWill has.

Not for certain. The closest thing was an impression of a lobster tail from a site where the Duck Creek and maybe one or two other formations pinch put nearby based on the wide variety of material in the float.

12 hours ago, BobWill said:

Not for certain. The closest thing was an impression of a lobster tail from a site where the Duck Creek and maybe one or two other formations pinch put nearby based on the wide variety of material in the float.

Ok, interesting. Now that I think about it I believe I am totally wrong about the formation. It would either be Paw Paw or Grayson. The location was in Denton Creek at 35W, which Mancos says is Paw Paw. I have never hunted in the Paw Paw so I don’t know what it looks like when I’m in it and I don’t know what fossils are common in it. The Paw Paw is pretty far north and west of where I live. Evidently I need some educating.

I was there a few weeks ago and parts of the creek were Duck Creek per my RockD app, but I wasn’t trusting it. One area it said was Duck Creek, but I was finding Waconella wacoensis (spelling?). There were none at the location where I found the item in question.

However, I found what I believe was a Macraster obesus echinoid there and I found a nautilus. Which I’ve never seen a nautilus in the Duck Creek, but I have in the Grayson. I’m not sure if M. obesus are found in Paw Paw, but I’m suspecting Paw Paw over Grayson.

I have found nautiloids in the Duck Creek but not Waconella. If the decapod was in the float it could have come from Goodland which occurs upstream in Oliver Creek but I believe that location is Pawpaw and Denton Clay. I don't know about other formations that produce the brachiopod besides Grayson/Mainstreet

On 5/29/2018 at 12:56 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

I wonder if Kim thinks that your quote "Remember that Holland is the Sahara of fossils" is an admission that you are Dutch? 

Yes, I was thinking the Netherlands were quite likely where he either lived or originated from, but I didn’t wish to make assumptions. I had picked up on his use of German references. I also thought his English was superb, which I have found many people from the  Scandinavian areas often do speak English quite well.

21 hours ago, doushantuo said:

I never made a secret from the fact we have an (originally) Argentine queen.

Heb zelfs een paar keer wat dingetjes gepost in my native language,Gebruik graag original British spelling

The queen of Argentinian origin seals it as the Netherlands then.

That is cool Ben. I guess it’s cool in the Winter too. Haha. I’m curious as to why you’ve kept it a mystery, but I won’t inquire in a public forum.

This is a very poorly constructed segue into finding even a loose commonality with you. I’m not sure if your heritage is of Dutch origin. If not it won’t work well to that end. 

If nothing else this will be either interesting or entertaining to some, as I am a story teller.

I have no idea what countries all of my very distant ancestors originated from, but at least one of my ancestors was Scandinavian. I can trace my maternal grandfather’s paternal lineage back to the 1400s in Kent, England. They were British Navy seamen, admirals and a comptroller. The others are from England as well, all lines arrived to America in the 1600s. I imagine there are a number of Brittans that have Scandanavian heritage. Whatever the case I am actually half Viking by blood.

How do I know that? You may ask.

One of my professional specialties and board certifications is in Immunogenetics.

My blood was often a favorite for researchers here in the Transplant  Immunology Department at UT Southwestern when I was a clinical reaseacher. I often used my own blood in research too. Not because of being Viking though. My white cells were well behaved. We did a lot of DNA testing too.

Within my field scientists performed studies on DNA from ancient civilizations, including Vikings. They did molecular typing on the MHC class I and II regions of chromosome 6. My own personal typing matches typings that originated in Vikings. That’s how I know I’m half Viking.

I’m a natural blonde. I have no clue how that happened though. I joke that I’m the white sheep of the family. I’m the only blonde. My mother looked Native American with long dark brown straight hair and my dad looks Italian with brown hair and eyes and olive skin as does one brother. My other brother is often mistaken for a Hispanic. He has curly almost black hair and darker skin. I think the Viking genes may have come from my mother who had green eyes, as do I. 

I’m not sure why people in public ask me if I’m Scandinavian. I guess it’s the blonde hair. One day after I found out I was part Viking I was getting on an elevator with several people. A lady asked me if I was Scandinavian. I told her “I am actually half Viking” matter of factly. There was dead silence. You could have heard a pin drop in the elevator. She didn’t know how to respond to my answer. Nobody said a word. They must have thought I was a bit of a nut case. An awkward silence ensued until we got off the elevator. I still laugh about it. Needless to say I stick with I’m part Scandinavian now.

• I found this Informative 3

Fascinating bit of insight.

Kim,thx for NOT poking fun at my first use of a "Dutchism": I used "Argentine" instead of "Argentinian":P

Gotta be a first time for everything.

I kinda like the idea of Kim "Sigridsdottir" Texan:D.

Fun fact:in the Breton (from Normandy/Britanny(France) dialect,a lot of words related to ships/boats go back to the time time the Vikings were there.

I wouldn’t think of poking fun. As I was typing the message I was following your lead and typed “Argentine”, but caught myself. I didn’t think anything of it.

I know several Argentinians. I use to work with 3 of them. There are many South and Central Americans here in Texas. 

When I was in college I was a resident assistant for a couple years before becoming the assistant women’s dean. At the beginning of the year the parents of a new student were dropping her off at my dorm. I heard her father speak and thought it was the most beautiful accent I had ever heard. 

The first time I knew anyone named Gisselle it was an Argentinian girl in college. I thought it was a beautiful name. I named my daughter Gabriell Gisselle. She goes by Gigi, which is a short form or nick name for Gisselle.