X-ray of Fossil from the Weekend

sseth

Just wanted to share the x-ray of a fossil we extracted this weekend at our Quarry.  All we could see was the cross section and we were pretty sure it was an amia but this sealed the deal.  Notice that it's jaws have floated back by the tail and will need to be removed and re-inserted back in the skull.  These are very uncommon in our quarry so we were very excited.

Enjoy.

fixedamia.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Very cool, Seth!

Thanks for showing us. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow I wonder how the jaws got all the way back there? That's a very cool piece, make sure you post pictures of the finished product! 

Wow, the people who built that machine probably never thought the bones it would look at would be millions of years old! Thanks for sharing! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, sseth said:

@Bone guy I will post pictures as I prepare and restore it.

Seth

Now that is gonna be one heckuva job. I'm looking forward to watching how you manage that.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Bottom right in the xray looks like a dude playing the guitar.............Nice find and research

8 hours ago, hemi123 said:

Bottom right in the xray looks like a dude playing the guitar.............Nice find and research

Correct- it looks like one of those Age of Extinction Transformers like Jimmy Hen-Rex

Very cool!
Personally, I did not even know fossils could be x-rayed. That is a great way to find fossils!
I am looking forward to see it prepared. Also- how big is it?