Adam86cucv

We took a trip down to the Matoaka Cabins in St. Leonard Maryland Saturday.  I knew we weren't going to be making low tide in the morning or late in the evening, so we were there pretty much at high tide.  The boys had fun playing in the sand and finding a few fossils.  Our 2.5 year old actually found the first, he picked it up and asked if he found a fossil. We hung around for almost 4 hours before we headed pack home and beat the evening storms. Our 8 year old was thrilled to find fragments of ecphoras, chesapectans and ray dental plates.  I found a few pieces of coral, a couple shark teeth, a possible fish vertebrae, and 4 mysterious bits that if I were to guess I would say 2 fish coprolites possibly and then the other 2 are maybe turtle or maybe croc scutes?  The ruler in the pics is cm...because imperial is a pain. :D

IMG_20180528_152114927.jpg

IMG_20180528_152120489.jpg

Glad you got to get hunting, one of those shark teeth appears to be a worn cow shark tooth! More angles are needed for the Scute-ish objects, though first impression is that both are geological, the orange one most likely being bog iron which is common along the cliffs and can look deceivingly like croc bits.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Glad we got out before the weather turned for the weekend.  I was beautiful out and we all had a good time in the water and the boys slept most of the drive home. 

FB_IMG_1527601788542.jpg

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Glad you got to get hunting, one of those shark teeth appears to be a worn cow shark tooth! More angles are needed for the Scute-ish objects, though first impression is that both are geological, the orange one most likely being bog iron which is common along the cliffs and can look deceivingly like croc bits.

Here is the back side of them.

IMG_20180528_152430021 (2).jpg

Yeah both geological I’m afraid. The first rock does not look native, the second is bog iron. Good to pick them up though, the best finds are often ‘strange rocks’ 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah both geological I’m afraid. The first rock does not look native, the second is bog iron. Good to pick them up though, the best finds are often ‘strange rocks’ 

Sometimes when they are wet in the sun it can be even more convincing.  Oh well there is always the next hunt.

Some more misc. chunks of "stuff"  The orange/red one is the one my 2.5 year old picked up as we set our stuff down.

IMG_20180528_153115621.jpg

IMG_20180528_153007654.jpg

• I found this Informative 1