Unknown Finnish fossil

Finborn

A few weeks ago I was on my very first fossil hunts. With some beginners luck I managed to find a few trilobites and orthoceras but I also found a very peculiar fossil that I am very curious to learn more about. The place where I found it is called the Aland Islands and is located in the Baltic sea between Sweden and Finland. Ive read that the fossils in this area comes from either the Ordovician or Cambrian ages but I am clueless on which age the stone comes from that containes this fossil. It appears to be complete only missing one "eye" on the half that is exposed. On the negative I can clearly see the "eye" imprinted. The shell/skin is extremely fragile and crumbles if touched and most of the shell/skin is stuck in the negative. When I turn it upside down I can see that the fossil is symetrical with half still in stone and other half exposed. It is approx 7 cm long, 4 cm wide and 2,5 cm high. Anybody got any ideas what this might be? Ive searched thousands of pictures in this forum and on the internet but nothing even comes close.

IMG_9467.JPG

I think you have part of the cephalon, actually the free cheek, of an asaphid trilobite.  You can see an eye and the genal area or corner of the free cheek.  The second piece may be a hypostome or a fragment of the pygidium of the trilobites.

Don

finnish fossil.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the fossil world - from a fellow Finn. I am sure the knowledge in this forum will help to ID this one. 

Cheers :fistbump: