May fossil trip: Dinosaur claw and tooth?

MedicineHat

I went out for a fossil hunting trip to southeastern red deer river valley in southern Alberta and I found material from tyrannosaur, raptor, hadrosaur, ceratopsian, turtle, croc, and fish. I even found a snail shell fossilized out of ironstone. 

I am struggling with the ID on two of my finds. This claw I think might be ornithomimus. But the tip is broken and also very stout. At first I thought it was just broken but I'm thinking it is unusually short. 

The other is a tooth that I have not seen before. After some research I'm guessing Pachycepholusaurus?

20180526_195719_crop_470x351.jpg

20180526_195725_crop_320x478.jpg

20180526_195840_crop_388x386.jpg

20180526_195904_crop_332x337.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, MedicineHat said:

I went out for a fossil hunting trip to southeastern red deer river valley in southern Alberta and I found material from tyrannosaur, raptor, hadrosaur, ceratopsian, turtle, croc, and fish. I even found a snail shell fossilized out of ironstone. 

I am struggling with the ID on two of my finds. This claw I think might be ornithomimus. But the tip is broken and also very stout. At first I thought it was just broken but I'm thinking it is unusually short. 

The other is a tooth that I have not seen before. After some research I'm guessing Pachycepholusaurus?

1 1/8" long 

Amazing finds! 

WOW! :)

I have no idea exactly what any of them are, but that's pretty rare and impressive stuff, i think. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

40 minutes ago, MedicineHat said:

1 1/8" long 

549059490.jpg

549059198.jpg

Any idea on this claw? It was right under my nose, literally. My buddy got to it first. 

32 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Amazing finds! 

WOW! :)

I have no idea exactly what any of them are, but that's pretty rare and impressive stuff, i think. 

Thanks Tidgy's Dad! It was so much fun. We had 30 Celsius weather and that is not in this area in May. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, BadlandTraveller said:

Great finds MedicineHat. Any idea the formation? 

Dinosaur park east of dpp 

These are some great finds... not a bad way at all to start off the summer ... especially fond of those tyrannosaur teeth :dinothumb::dinothumb:

Nice finds.

The top claw is indeed from an indeterminate ornithomimid.  The tooth is very odd could be a type of Ceratopsian.

I was about to say that claw does look like ornithomimid. Good to see Troodon already confirmed it, as he's got much more experience with those. Nice find!

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Awesome finds! Love all those Dino parts:trex:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Awesome finds! Love all those Dino parts:trex:

Thanks

9 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I was about to say that claw does look like ornithomimid. Good to see Troodon already confirmed it, as he's got much more experience with those. Nice find!

It does have that ornithopod look doesn't it

10 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice finds.

The top claw is indeed from an indeterminate ornithomimid.  The tooth is very odd could be a type of Ceratopsian.

Being the small size of the ornithomimid claw, do you think it indicates a juvenile? 

I looked at your post on pachy vs. thesc teeth, so I thought the tooth looked close to some of the specimens shown. You think closer to a ceratopsian?

13 hours ago, Masp said:

These are some great finds... not a bad way at all to start off the summer ... especially fond of those tyrannosaur teeth :dinothumb::dinothumb:

Yes, totally exciting start to the year. I feel spoiled by Tyrannosaur teeth this season.

17 hours ago, MedicineHat said:

Pachy?

20180527_203823_crop_379x362.jpg

20180527_203935_crop_345x345.jpg

20180527_203939_crop_320x307.jpg

This looks like a beached ceratopsian tooth. 

The last photo angle shows the remnant double roots. And there is a prominent median ridge.

this tooth would be situated either in the anterior or posterior ends of the tooth battery.

A7EF26F8-96F5-41B2-98A8-E5A68252BC86.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

7 hours ago, MedicineHat said:

Being the small size of the ornithomimid claw, do you think it indicates a juvenile? 

I looked at your post on pachy vs. thesc teeth, so I thought the tooth looked close to some of the specimens shown. You think closer to a ceratopsian?

What size is it hard to tell from your pictures and could be juvie, but its also species dependent. I have Ornithomimid foot claws from the Judith River Fm around 3".  The tiny one is a baby like hxmendosa indicated.

I think hxmendosa did a good job showing you why on the tooth.  Pachy teeth are single rooted and more stick shape than wide like yours.   Lots of species it could fit in that area.

6 hours ago, hxmendoza said:

@MedicineHat, the Chirostenotes pergracilis foot claw and the baby Ornithomimid foot claw are nice finds too.

Congrats!

C62D0694-8C1A-4E74-AD8A-F9151D7E923F.jpeg

Thanks so much for the ID's. My hunting partner grabbed these ones and I was especially curious of the chirostinestes. Claw ID is something I'm trying to learn more about. There are lòts of subtle nuances.

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

What size is it hard to tell from your pictures and could be juvie, but its also species dependent. I have Ornithomimid foot claws from the Judith River Fm around 3".  The tiny one is a baby like hxmendosa indicated.

I think hxmendosa did a good job showing you why on the tooth.  Pachy teeth are single rooted and more stick shape than wide like yours.   Lots of species it could fit in that area.

It's 1 1/8" long: missing a little off the tip and base where it meets the joint, so obviously it's size would measure longer. It does not appear to be missing much off the tip, maybe 1/4 inch - 1/2. I have looked at lots and collected one other that is around 2" long. When I compare, this specimen, the length is significantly compressed yet the height and width are not proportionally smaller, only slightly, perhaps 1/5th smaller than my larger claw. 

This difference triggers my curiousity