150 Million-year-old Ink Sac Still Intact

elbeau

BBC Article

Palaeontologists have drawn with ink extracted from a preserved fossilised squid uncovered during a dig in Trowbridge, Wiltshire.

The fossil, thought to be 150 million years old, was found when a rock was cracked open, revealing the one-inch-long black ink sac.

A picture of the creature and its Latin name was drawn using its ink.

Dr Phil Wilby of the British Geological Survey said it was an ancient creature similar to the modern-day squid.

"The structure is similar to ink from a modern squid so we can write with it," he said.

'Medusa effect'

The find was made at a site which was first excavated in Victorian times where thousands of Jurassic fossils with preserved soft tissues were found.

That is an astounding find! Soft-tissue/non-mineralized fossil finds have always held my intense interest.

Can we use the DNA to bring back dinosaurs? :wacko:

...No, but you can now create a glyph on a cave wall that will date to 150 million years ago.

Now that's enough to make an archeologist's head spin :drool:

...No, but you can now create a glyph on a cave wall that will date to 150 million years ago.

Now that's enough to make an archeologist's head spin :drool:

I'd draw giant robots and lizards fighting :)

Seriously though, they make an amazing find...a tiny bit of preserved ink...and the best scientific thing they can think to do with it is draw a picture?

I think there are plenty of people who would have loved to study that little bit of ink.