Fossil Skin Imprint in TN

Scott-TN

Found this on our property in TN. It is below a waterfall in an area where the Cumberland Plateau meets the Sequatchie Valley, alongside a cliff. Reminds me Ectenosaurus skin imprint I've seen pictures of. Any chance it is a fossilized reverse dinosaur skin imprint? The squares are holes or indentations, not raised areas. they are mostly rectangular and have a pattern to them. There are small "etched" lines that create a grid surrounding the divots. It seems to symetrical to have been carved out by water motion. I am interested in everyone's thoughts.

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Isn't that material Pennsylvanian and Mississippian in age? I think the geology there predates dinosaurs entirely. Also, this looks like a geologic feature to me I'm sad to say. Others who are more familiar with the area may have better information.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Welcome to TFF!

I agree with Jay that this doesn't look very organic to me, and more likely of geologic origin.

The picture of your foot, which is what is giving me an idea of the size of the thing, makes me think that the 'scales' you are seeing are much too big for dino-skin.

Still pretty cool!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

These are Liesegang rings. The process by which Liesegang rings develop is not completely understood. They may form from the chemical segregation of iron oxides and other minerals during weathering, resulting in different hardnesses in the rock. When the rock weathers, the harder areas form raised patterns of ring-like structures.. These are very common in the Pennsylvanian sandstones on the Cumberland Plateau. They often form very sharp edges, but these look like they have been polished from the waterfall. Pretty neat find!

• I found this Informative 6

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Welcome to the Forum.  :) 

Liesegang rings was my first impression of these. 

Cool geology!

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fantastic info! Thanks for taking time to look at the photos. I learned something new and interesting today!

29 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum.  :) 

Liesegang rings was my first impression of these. 

Cool geology!

Regards,

Try to compare with the Tibooburra concretions.

5b0f039a0cd4c_Photo1_concentricironstoneconcretions.thumb.jpg.c710dbd1723691c898fc124e9ddbd710.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library