Max-fossils

Hi all,

Found this shell in the Antwerp harbor. From the "Scaldisian" of the Pliocene, about 3 myo. I think Kattendijk Formation (can anyone confirm this?). 

I think it's some kind of shell within the Pycnodonte genus maybe? If so, which one?

I am pretty sure that it's from the Ostreidae. 

Thanks in advance,

Max

IMG_8467.JPG

IMG_8468.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

The only Pycnodonte in the Kattendijk Formation is  Neopycnodonte cochlear. I am not sure if this is one here, I don't even know if this is a pycnodonte, but I hope this helps.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, gigantoraptor said:

The only Pycnodonte in the Kattendijk Formation is  Neopycnodonte cochlear. I am not sure if this is one here, I don't even know if this is a pycnodonte, but I hope this helps.

Yup, this helps a lot. If what you say is true, then mine is not a Pycnodonte shell (because I find it too much different-looking from N. cochlear), but something else. 

Thanks Thijs! :ighappy:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Could it be from  Pycnodonte callifera from the Oligocene 'Zanden van Berg'? I think that one has more similarities. @Max-fossils

• I found this Informative 1

45 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Could it be from  Pycnodonte callifera from the Oligocene 'Zanden van Berg'? I think that one has more similarities. @Max-fossils

Well that's exactly the species I had in the back of my head when saying it was possibly a Pycnodonte. But I'm not sure if there are Oligocene sediments in the sands of the Antwerp harbor...

Max Derème