Kane

Spent a solid six hours in full sun and heat, with biting deer flies, moving rock at my secluded spot. Temps were about 30 C, but closer to 40 with humidity and heat off the rocks. Mostly splitting mid Devonian rock from the Widder Fm. 

Mostly looking for trilobites, which can be a game of inches... too far up or down in the strata, you get blanks or brachs.

First up, a few brachs. These can cluster up in massive beds. The first one was fairly large but I left it there. I did keep the second one as the long tips are fragile and rarely come out whole.

AA34B10B-6CB0-480E-9DCF-05AF88A45CD5.jpeg

B14CBFA9-71D3-4A05-B406-F31B8B916DC5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The cephs...

A nautiloid and a quite nicely pyritized Goniatites...  Ahem, Tornoceras sp.

5276E4E4-FD7E-45A0-BE42-36CE4BBE208B.jpeg

3542FFAE-751A-45D1-93E9-07295149EB9C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

This interlude is brought to you by coral... far too darn much of it, everywhere.

57CA1DF1-207A-4BF5-B6E3-2F100EEA60F2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Greenops widderensis. The first one is quite wee, but 99% complete (just missing the tip of the genal spine). They often come out half buried as the shale does not quite always split very well. I can probably uncover the rest with a pin vise and the scope. 

There are probably over a thousand moults to one complete.

Second one is also buried, with slim odds of being complete (and already missing an eye). But better to take it home than leave it in the field and never know.

068373D3-416C-41FB-9654-E4C845A12FDE.jpeg

869D895F-47AD-41AC-9744-ABC51E0F66CA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

What no invite to dig with you.........  mighty close to being off my Xmas list....... 

But where are the trilos

Taking a break and sitting by the water, this bit up ol’ Eldredgeops rana roller was sitting out in the open. And that’s about it! :)

11169D16-18E8-4DAA-8CCE-1E2B62A9A511.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

What no invite to dig with you.........  mighty close to being off my Xmas list....... 

But where are the trilos

They are there. ;) Look one post before yours.

It wasn’t planned... Deb surprised me with an offer to bring me there around 9 am, or else you would have been invited. :) 

Nice finds! The goniatite is awesome as is the winged spiriferids!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice to see you getting some use out of your new tools. That Brachs is lovely I would have taken that home but it is not the bug you where looking for. :) thank for sharing and some nice finds.

Lovely brachipods and a good bivalve in those rocks. 

You left some? :o

Good luck with the trilo prepping. :)

The goniatite and corals are pretty nice too. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Nice trilobites! :wub: 

But, Goniatites?  Not Tornoceras?

Don

Oops, you are right. Been out in the sun too long today! :D:faint:

What a gorgeous spiriferid - those wings are awesome!!! :wub: @Wrangellian have a look-see!

And that bivalve and ammonoid are stunning - congratulations!!! :dinothumb:

(Oh, and congrats on the trilos, too :P)

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Oops, you are right. Been out in the sun too long today! :D:faint:

I'm just jerking your chain.  It's a beautiful fossil.  I think you had the better day; I was out in the sun too, but sanding a deck so I can paint it tomorrow.

Don

Glad you were able to get out there, Kane!  :fistbump:

A few nice finds, as well. 

Congratulations! 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There is not a fossil posted that doesn't have a drool factor! I love that perfect spirifer the best. I have never come across one with that long of tips. But I also never realized they could extend that far out. I had better be more observant in dealing with these. Thanks for the posting!

Mike

My favorite is also the spiriferid... Are the points on both halves, or just top or bottom.   It's gorgeous.. 

Okay you are off the hook but we need to set our next session with you, me and KB. I am avail Sun , Mon Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sun, Mon Tues in the next little bit. KB indicated he would make what we pick work.

Just now, Nimravis said:

@Kane I guarantee that you made Adam @Tidgy's Dad cry when he read that you left that beautiful brach behind.

Indeed, I did! :(

Even Tidgy was sobbing. 

And for the other little brachiopod under the big one. 

:faint:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks, everyone. :) I wasn't expecting such a positive reaction to the winged spirifer! I've actually seen even longer wings that others have collected in the past from a nearby area, so it is possible to find more -- just tough to get them intact. Plenty of brachs there, so Adam need not be sad. :D 

I'll post a cleaned up picture of the trilo later. :) 

@Malcolmt: I'll send you an email later on today about going to the spot.