Mystery "house" Fossil

Shuko

I found these two fossils in the limestone rocks that make up my house. Obviously I'll never be able to extract them from the actual rock, but I'd like to know what they are. I'm sure they're really simple IDs, but I'll be darned if I know enough to figure them out, lol.

Here's the first one. Looks like it might be a kind of gastropod, but I don't know... (It's about an inch and a half long)

img0716tk6.jpg

This next one is a strange one. It looks like some kind of straight ammonoid, but since it's so broken, it's hard to tell. Any thoughts?

img0717rj3.jpg

img0718zr7.jpg

img0720vk9.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't know where the rocks were mined, and I don't have a better means of taking photographs. I hope this is enough to identify them!

Shuko

Not sure about the first image, but the others are orthocone cephalopods (straight shelled nautiloids, sort of like chambered squid shells). I'm not sure of the species or even the genus, but I've heard the genera Orthoceras and Endoceras thrown around quite a bit concerning Ordovician material. Is that the age of the building material? Generally building stone is used close to where it was quarried unless a high falutin' homeowner had special material trucked in from elsewhere.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest solius symbiosus

I think you are right on the first one, and dan nailed the second.

Nautiloid Cephalopods are virtually impossible to identify without a look at the siphuncle.

HERE is a link to a page on Nautiloids.

Wiki page for Cephalopods HERE

The top fossil looks like a bisected specimen of Bucanopsis. It has a wide temporal range including Upper Ordovician and is found in North America.

The top fossil looks like a bisected specimen of Bucanopsis. It has a wide temporal range including Upper Ordovician and is found in North America.

Thanks so much, guys! I know a lot more about them now, thanks to the information you linked me to! I appreciate your help!