Mosasaur or croc tooth - NJ Cretaceous

frankh8147

Hello everyone!

I hoping to get some clarification to help differentiate Cretaceous crocodile teeth from Mosasaur teeth. These two were found in the New Jersey Cretaceous.

The first one is a shade under 1/2 an inch. It is conical and doesn't appear to have any cutting edges (but they could be worn off). I was leaning towards Mosasaur tooth on the second one because of the size of 8/10ths' of an inch, but it is slightly more slender than my other Mosasaur teeth, very conical and the root looked a bit different. It appears to have one very weak cutting edge but I'm not positive.

It was pointed out to me that crocodile teeth roots tend to have concentric rings so I was wondering what everyone thought regarding these guys. Thanks!

@Plax @josephstrizhak

531.jpg

5311.jpg

5314.jpg

tooth #2 looks like mosasaur to me. First tooth is very worn and am note sure that very worn mosasaur teeth wouldn't expose concentric rings like croc teeth have. Guess someone with a lot of mosasaur teeth could grind the hollow base off one to compare. If I'm looking at Mosasaurus hoffmani versus Deinosuchus rugosus teeth the difference in the basal structure is readily apparent. Wish I had specimens here at work so I could show a pic.

I agree with Plax; the second tooth is Mosasaur. The first one is either crocodile or mosasaur.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

The extra pictures do confirm that number 2 is  mosasaur.  

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

11 hours ago, non-remanié said:

The extra pictures do confirm that number 2 is  mosasaur.  

Thanks Steve! That was the one I had labeled Mosasaur but wanted to show you to confirm so we can check that one off the list. :)

I agree with tooth one being croc and # 2 mosasaur. 

3 hours ago, JarrodB said:

I agree with tooth one being croc and # 2 mosasaur. 

Thanks Jarrod!

Archived