Blastoid?

BobC

This little guy is really hard to photograph because he is lodged down in a hole inside a rock. Anyhow--he is about the size of a dime

post-1290-1250726199_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1250726251_thumb.jpg

It looks like an echinoderm of some kind (5-part radial symmetry), but I don't see any plates; could it be an internal mold?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

He may be the size of a dime, but what formation is he from?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

He is a 390 million YO blastoid from Alabama (or was it Arkansas?). This fossil was found by my neighbor Ginger--she told me about it a year ago but couldn't find it in her messy house. She brought it to UT and they were stunned--it was so much bigger than the Blastoids they'd seen before. At first they thought it might be a new species but apparently it is not. That's all I know.

Bob,

UT has an echinoderm expert in the person of Dr. Jim Sprinkle. I'm sure that he'd be interested in seeing this, and likely would be able to ID it.

Hey Gramps--I think that might be the guy who examined it a few years ago. I'll ask Ginger. The Paleontologist who looked at it made a cast of it which I also took a picture of.

Thanks Jim!

Gramps--I Just spoke to my neighbor who found this blastoid and as it turns out, Mr Sprinkle was the exact man who examined it!

Gramps--I Just spoke to my neighbor who found this blastoid and as it turns out, Mr Sprinkle was the exact man who examined it!

He's the right guy. I'd go with whatever he says for sure. " She brought it to UT and they were stunned--it was so much bigger than the Blastoids they'd seen before. At first they thought it might be a new species but apparently it is not."

Biggest blastoid Dr. Sprinkle has ever seen - that says something!

Right! Ginger told me that she told Dr Sprinkle that he must get tired of dummies always bringing stuff to him to identify--and he said that getting stuff like this made it all worthwhile!

Archived