Existence of Triceratops

Mukti

I have a random fossil/dinosaur question. Has it been properly researched and somewhat/ mostly proven whether or not Triceratops did in fact exist

I have read multiple articles ( on the internet and not peer reviwed) that have stated it is thought that the Triceratops and Torosaurus are one in the same

They have even gone on to say that because nobody has yet to discover any juvenile Torosaurus fossil pieces,skulls, or skeletons that Triceratops could possibly be young Torosaurus, and as they matured their frills changed shape much like some anima look s coloring changes during maturation. What are people's thoughts? I just ask because I see a lot of teeth labeled Triceratops and so far none labeled Torosaurus.

Triceratops-Facts_1713.jpg

220px-Torosaurus_BW.jpg

I'll leave others more in the know to discuss the Triceratops vs Torosaurus bit. 

But I think it's hard if not impossible to tell ceratopsian teeth apart. 

And i know for sure that "Triceratops tooth" will sell better than "Torosaurus tooth." 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

There isn't much support for Triceratops being a juvenile Torosaurus. It gets too much coverage simply because it's freaking Triceratops, but really, how many paleontologist supports that theory? Here's the thing - we have found far more Triceratops fossils than Torosaurus. Assuming Ticeratops is the teenager form, does it make sense to have a few adults and many teenagers?

As for teeth, there's no good way to tell spitter teeth apart. For some reason though, even museums label the spitter teeth as Triceratops sp.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

We will have to see what Frank says but I think the consensus is that it is a valid taxon, one must cherry pick papers to find any information to the contrary.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The other question that needs to be asked is how many large bodied Ceratopsians are there in the Hell Creek?  Its a fauna that does not like to give up its secrets.  A couple of skulls are floating around who's owners claim are new species.  

Where it comes to Triceratops versus Torosaurus I listen to Ceratopsian experts like M. Ryan, N. Longrich and D. Tanke and others, they all consider it very valid. 

Cool paper on the subject.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3290593/

Screenshot_20180601-151401.thumb.jpg.27350fc246941202130770742751d255.jpg

Hi all,

I apologize for causing such an uproar. In no way did I mean to imply sellers were mislabeling fossils or buyers being mislead. I was simply basking people's opinions on the theory as well as what another person said that their are many Triceratops teeth and fossils but few if any of Torosaurus. I remember that for awhile there Brontosaurus fossils was said to begins to Apatosaurus and that Brontosaurus never existed. That is until just a few years ago scientists discovered enough anatomical differences between Apatosaurus and so called Brontosaurus to give Brontosaurus it's own genera. Again sorry for upsetting people. 

Everyone in the industry calls anything Ceratopsian from the Hell Creek as Triceratops just like from Morocco everything is Spinosaurus.   No big deal. The proper designation should be Ceratopsian unless its a skull element that may be diagnostic or the item was found with an identifiable skeleton.    Remember you also have two species of Triceratops so is it T. prorsus or T. horridus? 

Torosaurus teeth if found with a skull are very cherished a great add to any collection.  

Spitter teeth are labeled as "Trike spitters" by everyone just the common jargon.

Archived