Another month gone, another month inching towards summer. The flowers are in bloom, the birds singing, the insects are biting, and the fossils are calling. Time to get out there and make the find of a lifetime. Or maybe, just a Find of the Month. ;) 

**********************************************************************************************

As a test, I am going to create a new title for anyone who PM's me, and asks for one. 

I am just wondering if anyone actually reads these things, or if I should just give up on them. 

Remember...PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below, ... make sure you 

include all the required information, 

IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT

and submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM. 

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Entries will be taken until 11:59:59 PM EDT on JUNE 30th, 2018

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per contest category.)
3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.(Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.")
4. You must include the Date of your Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Discovery date (if not found in the contest month).
5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.
6. You must include the common or scientific name.
7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.
8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the Fossil was found.
9. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

*******Please use the following format for the required information:*******

Date of discovery

Scientific or Common name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region found

Photos  of find:(if prepped, before and after photos, please.)

Limit - 4 photos, please.

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Once the Contest Submission period has ended, after all the votes are tallied, and the Polls for both categories are closed, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month for JUNE 2018 !  

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

Good luck! :D

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 featured this topic

Good luck to those entering!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

June should be a great month for entries--I can't wait to see what will be entered this time. Early rains have swelled the rivers so you won't be seeing any last Peace River entries from us down here in South Florida.

Cheers.

-Ken

3 hours ago, digit said:

June should be a great month for entries--I can't wait to see what will be entered this time. Early rains have swelled the rivers so you won't be seeing any last Peace River entries from us down here in South Florida.

Cheers.

-Ken

Shame to hear that there won't be any Peace River entries! Well that forces you to do one thing: go in the quarries/roadcuts/construction sites instead in order to find some awesome invert stuff! (cough cough, bivalves and gastropods, cough cough)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I hope this counts for May. I collected the rock on May 30th, but didn't discover the fossil until June 4th. I would like to submit my brachiopod with a star tattoo for your consideration.

Date of discovery: June 4, 2018

Name: Unidentified echinoderm (possible starfish larva or larval crinoid holdfast)

Location found: Wubble Ravine, Fillmore County, Minnesota

Before photos:

Maquoketa-Brac-Star5.thumb.jpg.ee4448e7484feae309b7489fb701a55b.jpgMaquoketa-Brac-Star4.thumb.jpg.294d8efaaf36ec8ca73b7f41a6123d68.jpg

After Photos: 

Maquoketa-Brac-Star9-Prepped.thumb.jpg.52031d342e76e8e90396a2ac40a7c82c.jpgMaquoketa-Brac-Star8-Prepped.thumb.jpg.77494f1bfa8ed0e8df9c65ffa82c4082.jpg

@GeschWhat that is a cool "tattoo" on a cool fossil! :drool:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

@GeschWhat That sure is one cool edrioasteroid! :) 

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

23 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

@GeschWhat that is a cool "tattoo" on a cool fossil! :drool:

21 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

@GeschWhat That sure is one cool edrioasteroid! :) 

Thank you. It was a definite first for me. I had no idea there was such a thing edrioasteroid until I found this. :)

7 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

endrioateroid?  What is that?

Don

I think he means edrioasteroid (which it is not).

~~.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, Auspex said:

I think he means edrioasteroid (which it is not).

~~.jpg

It's not? I'm sorry. :blush: I must have misunderstood the thread. I thought the underside of image e. I did reach out to a local paleontologist this afternoon to get his thoughts. Do I need to withdraw the entry?

2 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

It's not? I'm sorry. :blush: I must have misunderstood the thread. I thought the underside of image e. I did reach out to a local paleontologist this afternoon to get his thoughts. Do I need to withdraw the entry?

I think since we're still uncertain what this intriguing find may be, we could probably call it an uncertain trace fossil. I can edit it if you wish. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Do I need to withdraw the entry?

Oh, please don't! There is no 'sorry' and no shame if we're all learning from the process. :)

This is why I generally point out mis-steps, rather than edit them: as long as it's correct at the end, the process of getting there is important.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A "STAR SPANGLED" Brachiopod, that would have been a good entry for July! :)

I decided to put up for F.O.M. a fossil that, though broke when I cracked it open, is still a very pretty and has such great scale preservation for a 300 MYO Fish from the Mazon Creek biota.

NAME OF FOSSIL:                                                Elonichthys peligerus   (70 mm Long)

YEAR CONCRETION WAS COLLECTED:           2003

DATE CONCRETION WAS OPENED:                  6-3-2018

LOCATION FOUND:                                               Pit 4 - Wilmington, Illinois (Mazon Creek)

AGE OF FOSSIL:                                                    Francis Creek Shale / Middle Pennsylvanian 

(Sorry- Pics would not orientate correctly when posting).

IMG_5577.thumb.jpg.3cf57c79847ef44e2951cf86ffa3e585.jpgIMG_5578.thumb.jpg.7a5ce004d1d28b361c2b0961eae2f13f.jpg

CLOSE UPS

Part-and-counterpart fossils are always very neat; and I think yours has quite a good chance of winning, @Nimravis ;) 

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I thought you should have entered it when you first posted the little guys reintroduction into the world again.

:)

@Nimravis now that's a very old fish!!! Neat find Ralph

Max Derème

Said at the time that was a bit special. 

I love this old fish. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I still have some blocks of chalk from my trip to the forest in northern France - who knows, maybe there'll be something FOTM-worthy in there...

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Archived