Name of fossil: starfish fossil

Found: 6/22/2018

Age: Devonian (information from people here giving me help)

20180626_125930.thumb.jpg.d90346f831dbcce6811608e41391d30e.jpg

1530047380515951698321.jpg

Best (and one of the only) vertebrate bone I’ve found this month. Need to get out more!

June 23, 2018

Crocodilian Vertebra

Paleocene, Aquia Formation

Purse State Park, Charles County, Maryland 

B16A680B-5BA5-4124-B3A8-CC7EBAF81DEF.jpeg

4111844E-6AB0-4185-A93F-687962EBB0C1.jpeg

687E34D0-98A2-4A19-8714-13CD38A346C5.jpeg

873879A2-6858-4D17-B16F-83F1D6272285.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

For consideration of F.O.T.M. is a piece of an orthocone cephalopod , with a siphuncle filled with graptolites in matrix. On the same rock is a piece of another cephalopod, or part of the same, that has been replaced with calcite crystals, except the siphuncle, which is also filled with graptolites in matrix.

Date of discovery: June 14, 2018

Name: Graptolite Amplexograptus perexcavatus

P1016293-2.jpg

P1016296-3.jpg

P1016296-2.jpg

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

My entry this month is the first non-plant fossil I have found from this particular spoil pile. Unfortunately, I could only find one half of the nodule.

Date found: 6/23/18

Name: Palaeoxyris prendeli shark egg capsule

20180628_074349-1.jpg

Whoa, so many awesome finds!!! :envy:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Small entry for IPFOTM

Date of discovery:  May 27, 2018

Scientific or Common nameLeviceraurus mammilloides

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Ordovician, Lindsay Fm

State, Province, or Region found: Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

Before and after pics follow, with the entirety of the preparation done in June by KB. This is an uncommon species to find in this formation.

fullsizeoutput_465.jpeg

Kane.Leviceraurus.01b.jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

And one for VFOTM while I'm here. :P 

Date of discovery:  June 25, 2018

Scientific or Common name: (Arthrodire) Protitanichthys rockportensis (tentatively); placoderm plate fragment (~9 cm in length, ~3 cm width)

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Devonian, Widder Fm

State, Province, or Region found: Thedford, Ontario, Canada

Preparation performed on June 30, 2018

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4898.JPG

Kane I'm sorry, but according to the FOTM supplemental rules (that I just made up), moderators are not allowed to enter the contest. 

You will now have to withdraw your entries.

Something about an unfair advantage of being in charge of the ballot box.:rofl:

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Scientific or Common name?Arthrodire protitanichthys (tentatively); plate fragment (~9 cm in length, ~3 cm width)

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Widder Fm

Hot off the press... today...

I am wondering if we can adjust the info required for submissions:

like Scientific Name: followed by something non - scientific humans can understand...extinct armoured, jawed fishes

and then something that provides the age like

419 million years ago (mya) to about 359 mya

I see this in multiple submissions where my first action is to search the internet or Wikipedia. 

Thanks Jack

Should have added:  Love the skin....

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 minute ago, Shellseeker said:

Hot off the press... today...

I am wondering if we can adjust the info required for submissions:

like Scientific Name: followed by something non - scientific humans can understand...extinct armoured, jawed fishes

and then something that provides the age like

419 million years ago (mya) to about 359 mya

I see this in multiple submissions where my first action is to search the internet or Wikipedia. 

Thanks Jack

Just added the age (completely forgot to :doh!: ), and mentioned placoderm. 

48 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

see this in multiple submissions where my first action is to search the internet or Wikipedia. 

At least your learning, especially from such reputable sources:D

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

At least your learning, especially from such a reputable source:D

Agree, I do not think the answer is clear_cut.  I am asking the Admins/Moderators to consider the pros and cons.

When looking at FOTM entries or in fact numerous submissions in Fossil ID,  I will usually go to the internet because I want to know what geological age in MYAs,  I'd like a picture or artists rendition of the fossil, what exactly is it beyond the Scientific name..

While TFF members no doubt have significant scientific knowledge above the average American education ,  I think few can determine all that from the fossil photo and location.

We have new TFF members (thankfully) all the time and sometimes we are asking them to drink from a fire hose.

We all learn from seeking answers we do not understand.. That is the big positive...

That is why I see this as a balance, and leave the heavy thinking to Moderators...:headscratch:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

6 hours ago, Kane said:

And one for VFOTM while I'm here. :P 

Scientific or Common name?Arthrodire protitanichthys (tentatively); placoderm plate fragment (~9 cm in length, ~3 cm width)

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Devonian, Widder Fm

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4898.JPG

Very nice! We just pulled some placoderms out a week and a half ago along with a ton of jawless fishes. Good placoderm material is always really rewarding to find.

How certain are you that's Protitanichthys though? It looks slightly more like it might belong to something a little more primitive, given the coarse and highly-regular tuberculate pattern. Just a thought.

4 hours ago, jdp said:

Very nice! We just pulled some placoderms out a week and a half ago along with a ton of jawless fishes. Good placoderm material is always really rewarding to find.

How certain are you that's Protitanichthys though? It looks slightly more like it might belong to something a little more primitive, given the coarse and highly-regular tuberculate pattern. Just a thought.

Not absolutely certain at all (hence my preceding question mark on the name, and the "tentatively" qualifier), but the closest match to the formation thus far. There hasn't been much study on placoderms in the Widder Fm, as far as I know, but I hold out hope to bump into a placoderm expert here on TFF. :D 

The tuberculate pattern on P. rockportensis does vary, pending on where the piece is located on the head shield. At times they appear asteroid in their arrangement, and at other times more uniformly distributed to the point of disappearing at the edges of the cephalic shield. Also, age is a factor in how these tubercles manifested. 

The closest I've come to any study that can be roughly analog to this area would be:

Case, E.C. (1931) "Arthrodiran Remains From the Devonian of Michigan." Contributions from the Museum of Paleontology, University of Michigan. V. III.9: 165-82. 

• Fossildude19 locked this topic
  • Fossildude19 unfeatured this topic

Archived