My latest Wealden fossil finds

Birdman

Was searching my Wealden Bone Bed today and just found another cool tooth. Another ankylosaurid tooth, again it is complete with root! Another variation on the other ones I have found. The tooth measures 4 mm.

Cheers.

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

On 6/21/2018 at 8:28 PM, Birdman said:

My latest coolest find! Another very small ankylosaur tooth. I prepped this one out as well. Extremely delicate work. Very happy....:)

Looks like the beginning of a great relationship -- TFF and you.

I know nothing about dinosaurs, given that I hunt in Florida... Ankylosaur can measure out at 20 feet and 5 tons.  At 4mm, this is an awful small tooth.

I once found a baby mammoth tooth and was amazed that such a large animal could have such a small tooth, even as a baby.  Well, learn something new every day....:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

BabyMammoth.thumb.jpg.10739abd5cc82f0fc7cfb2a9d0385bdb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks, Ynot. 

Hello Shellseeker, I was amazed too at how small they can be. I saw a pic of another ankylosaur tooth today on #FossilFriday being shown by someone and this person said it was from a very large ankylosaur, one of the largest I think they said, yet it still looks small, at around 1 cm. 

That sure is a very small mammoth tooth! Great, well done. Thanks for sharing that.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Another nice find. Shark shell crushing tooth. I love the colouration and markings on this one. Very special.

Also found this very nice Hybodontid pointed tooth with three side cusps! Looks like the right side-cusps might be preserved as well. I might attempt to prep them out.

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2773a.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

Baryonyx crown tooth. Found in Wealden Bone Bed. Undulations are clearly visible in pics. The specimen is broad, yet slender (laterally compressed), it also exhibits vertical ridges. These are all characteristics of Baryonychid (spinosaurid) dinosaurs. 

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 7:54 PM, Birdman said:
On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 7:54 PM, Birdman said:

Baryonyx crown tooth. Found in Wealden Bone Bed. Undulations are clearly visible in pics. The specimen is broad, yet slender (laterally compressed), it also exhibits vertical ridges. These are all characteristics of Baryonychid (spinosaurid) dinosaurs. 

IMG_2818.jpg

This is a misidentified tooth. Following further study on this tooth, I have discovered that  it is not a Baryonyx tooth after all, but is actually a pterosaur tooth. But it is not ornithocheirus. It resembles much more that of the teeth of Coloborynchus! This is exciting as it is mostly ornithocheirid teeth that are found in the Wealden. We know Coloborynchus was present in the Wealden as there have been three partial skulls been found. I am fortunate to own one of them.

• I found this Informative 6

Wow these are some amazing finds where in the wealden group do you hunt for fossils? Is it isle of Wight or the main land?

On 7/25/2018 at 6:54 AM, Birdman said:

actually a pterosaur tooth. But it is not ornithocheirus. It resembles much more that of the teeth of Coloborynchus! This is exciting as it is mostly ornithocheirid teeth that are found in the Wealden. We know Coloborynchus was present in the Wealden as there have been three partial skulls been found. I am fortunate to own one of them.

That is very cool!

Can We see pictures of the skull?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you for your compliments Haravex and ynot. I hunt for fossils when I can on the mainland - Sussex coast. It's not the easiest of places to find fossils. However, if you persevere you can be rewarded with some nice finds. 

Cheers.

Another special find. A partial theropod tooth crown with well preserved denticles. I am pretty certain this is another dromaeosaurid tooth, but much larger than the Nuthetes teeth I have found. The distal denticles are the same morphology as Saurornitholestes and the other dromaeo teeth I have found. Also, interestingly, this tooth matches the Isle of Wight dromaeo teeth that were found, both in size and the morphology of the denticles. So I think we can safely identify this one as being large Velociraptorine of similar size to Utahraptor according to one Wealden researcher!  

IMG_2899a.jpg

IMG_2906a.jpg

IMG_2905a.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Incredible finds birdman .

I'm heading to the isle of wight for the first time in a few days. I can only hope to find something like this in that area. 

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Thanks Manticocerasman. Enjoy your trip to the IOW. Good luck. I hope you make some great finds.

• 4 weeks later...

Another really good find found during a search of my collection of bone bed. A small theropod claw. Its size suggests Maniraptora. 

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3069a.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

17 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Another really good find found during a search of my collection of bone bed. A small theropod claw. Its size suggests Maniraptora. 

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3069a.jpg

VFOTM candidate, trust me ;) 

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I appreciate your kind comments guys.

Thanks The Amateur Paleontologist. VFOTM, wow...do you think so. Okay, worth me considering entering it then....:)

Cheers.

11 hours ago, Birdman said:

I appreciate your kind comments guys.

Thanks The Amateur Paleontologist. VFOTM, wow...do you think so. Okay, worth me considering entering it then....:)

Cheers.

Go for it ;) I know what I'd vote for, should you enter..

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Wonderful finds, how on earth do you prep those things out of the bone bed?

Never ask a starfish for directions