My latest Wealden fossil finds

Birdman

This is a great fossil forum. A wealth of information. Lots to educate the passionate collector.

I want to share a few more of my latest finds with members of this fossil forum. I hope you all enjoy the pics.

These are some of my best discoveries made in my Hastings Wealden bonebed collection this past week.

First off is this lovely Dromaeosaurid tooth. It took me a few hours, but I managed to prep out both sides. My best find in a while.

IMG_2241yyyy.jpg

IMG_2216yyyy.jpg

IMG_2222yyy.jpg

IMG_2225yyy.jpg

• I found this Informative 16

Those finds are really neat, @Birdman! I particularly like the dromaeosaurid tooth; I think it's from a velociraptorine dromaeosaur (maybe related to Nuthetes destructor).

Could you post a more detailed picture of the Theropoda indet. tooth, it might help with ID.

Congrats again on the finds! :)

• I found this Informative 2

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Wow! :blink:

Thanks for showing us!

Wealden seems to offer up many kinds of wonders!  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi, Nuthetes, yes that was my conclusion too. I neglected to state this in my post. Nuthetes sp.

You are welcome Fossildude19. It is incredible what turns up here in the Wealden. Such diversity of animal fauna.

Here is a more close-up detailed pic showing the theropod indet. tooth. It looks conical. I think probably spinosaurid type. Hope this helps with id. 

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Whoa, those are incredible finds! Well done! :envy: :trex:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Great finds! :)

Could you tell us how big each tooth is please? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

13 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Great finds! :)

Could you tell us how big each tooth is please? 

Sure. They are all found in the Wealden micro bonebed. The dromeo tooth measures 5 mm; the very small anky tooth measures approx. 4 mm, the possible spino tooth measures 5 mm.

Cheers.

Where did you find those specimens? Do you have any coordinates for the Wealden micro-bonebed? 

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

On the beaches of Sussex. Lots of collectors visit Hastings Fairlight, Cliff End to collect bonebed. It falls out of the cliffs there on to the foreshore where anyone is free to collect the loose pieces. Great stuff.

Thanks for the information. Honestly, I think your Nuthetes sp. tooth is definitely worth being entered into the FOTM contest - after all, it's a cool tooth and from a dromaeosaurid. Definite winner if you ask me ;) 

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thanks. Do you really think so.....I was thinking about doing just that, entering it for the FOTM contest.

Cheers.

Trust me, I'm positive that your Nuthetes sp. tooth would be a worthy contender for the VFOTM. I definitely know what I'd vote for if you were to enter your specimen into the contest...

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

31 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Thanks. Do you really think so.....I was thinking about doing just that, entering it for the FOTM contest.

Cheers.

I would agree, but was it found in June?

A fossil has to be found in the month of the contest (or had substantial prep finished) to qualify.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I wondered about that as I read the rules. I last worked prepping the specimen right at the end of May! But it could do with a bit more prepping, so then would it qualify?

1 hour ago, Birdman said:

I wondered about that as I read the rules. I last worked prepping the specimen right at the end of May! But it could do with a bit more prepping, so then would it qualify?

Do You have before prep pictures? They would be needed.

The rules state- "substantial prep done in the month of the contest". (that is Your call.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 3 weeks later...

My latest coolest find! Another very small ankylosaur tooth. I prepped this one out as well. Extremely delicate work. Very happy....:)

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2571a.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

• I found this Informative 14