My latest Wealden fossil finds

Birdman

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! I am genuinely overwhelmed by everyone's kind, appreciative  comments. Thank you everyone! 

Brittle Star: Thanks. With great difficulty! I think over time (many years) I have developed a skill in prepping these things out with small hand tools probably with the hand of a surgeon, I take shallow breaths and sometimes holding my breath they are such tiny fragile things, I do not want the tool to slip....that would be disastrous, so I take my time and do a bit at a time. It can take hours of work sometimes, but as I think you would agree the results are worthwhile. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

My latest find....and it's another anky tooth!! Interestingly, I believe for the first time in the Wealden this is the first example of one of these teeth that appears to still be preserved in the jaw!! A small piece of the jaw remains and the tooth remains steadfast in there. Taking photos is a challenge also as they are so small.

Enjoy the pics. 

IMG_3262a.jpg

IMG_3264a.jpg

IMG_3265a.jpg

IMG_3268a.jpg

IMG_3269a.jpg

IMG_3272a.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Wonderful! :wub: 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 1 month later...

Here is another exciting new find, a theropod tooth, I just found in Hastings bone bed. I love the well preserved serrations on the distal surface, they are complete from beginning to end! Tentatively (very) identified as allosaurid. However, further research has led me down a very interesting path indeed. I have found similar teeth that belong to Richardoestesia which is assigned to the clade coelurosaur. However, Richardoestesia lived during the Upper Cretaceous period, so it is unlikely to belong to this family. Now, with regard to morphology, I think I have found an even closer match! Atrociraptor marshalli, which is a dromaeosaur, however, it too lived during the Upper Cretaceous. But Atrociraptor belonged to the clade Eudromaeosauria which existed around 124 mya to the end of the Cretaceous. If confirmed, my find would push this clade back even further.

The morphology doesn't match Nuthetes which very interestingly could also belong to eudromaeosauria.

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

4 hours ago, Birdman said:

Here is another exciting new find, a theropod tooth, I just found in Hastings bone bed. I love the well preserved serrations on the distal surface, they are complete from beginning to end! Tentatively (very) identified as allosaurid. However, further research has led me down a very interesting path indeed. I have found similar teeth that belong to Richardoestesia which is assigned to the clade coelurosaur. However, Richardoestesia lived during the Upper Cretaceous period, so it is unlikely to belong to this family. Now, with regard to morphology, I think I have found an even closer match! Atrociraptor marshalli, which is a dromaeosaur, however, it too lived during the Upper Cretaceous. But Atrociraptor belonged to the clade Eudromaeosauria which existed around 124 mya to the end of the Cretaceous. If confirmed, my find would push this clade back even further.

The morphology doesn't match Nuthetes which very interestingly could also belong to eudromaeosauria.

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

Nice tooth! How big is it Jamie?

Thanks everyone for your comments and votes of appreciation regarding my latest find.

Paul: Thanks. It measures 1 cm (0.4 inches). 

Very cool and interesting.  Love the look of the matrix.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Very nice :) , you keep finding some really nice dinosaur teeth in your hunting spot. And you are doing some really nice scientifically research on them, congrats

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Great finds Birdman.  I really like the Theropod teeth. The Anky teeth are so pristine.  Well, prepped 

In the footsteps of Mantell and Anning, searching for dinosaur with a passion !

• 1 month later...

Thanks StevenJD and Jonwealden. 

Here is another cool find found in my collection of Wealden bone bed.  A very large Hybodontid tooth! In comparison, do you see the small tooth next to the large one? This is the common size I find at this locality.

I split the nodule open and that is what I found!! Nice straight edges of matrix the result of a careful search method. No prepping needed. I was so fortunate no damage was caused during the arduous process of searching this material! This is one of my favourite finds in a long time. I will treasure it. Definitely one to include in my public display exhibition of my fossil collection. Details TBA.

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3683.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Very nice tooth :) 

In the 1st photo, am I right in guessing that the small tooth (close to the big one) is also hybodontid?

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Very nice tooth :) 

In the 1st photo, am I right in guessing that the small tooth (close to the big one) is also hybodontid?

-Christian

Thanks for commenting. Yes, it is another hybodontid tooth. 

Cheers.

nice tooth :D

Do you also find other hybodont remains in those deposits like spines or claspers?

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.