About a month ago, I headed out on two fossil trips to the well-known St. Leon roadcut in Indiana. I was hunting in the Liberty formation (late Ordovician) with the sole goal of finding some nice trilobites (which I definitely achieved!). Along with multiple rare trilobites, I was able to find some excellent examples of other fossils. The spoils were totally awesome, and I am itching to go back. I hope you enjoy. 

Best for last. :) 

IMG_6493.thumb.jpg.8f4aef481aba362afbfca25a21651dae.jpg
I'm sure some of us may recognize this from the ID thread, but these are internal clam molds / concretions. I have never found anything like like these two. Cool!

IMG_6497.thumb.jpg.b9c93ca6810350a4c0b4e3e869a51fa1.jpg
Here are some gastropods from my hunt. 
I am identifying the gastropod on the bottom-right hand corner, as it is a first for me!

IMG_6498.thumb.jpg.9950d2f0acb8b6fcd77e19acfce74029.jpg
I love this plate!!
It is completely full of various gastropod fossils. This is a rare find for my region.
I have counted 24 individual gastropods here! I especially like the partially crystallized (mostly complete) Hormotoma just above the middle.

5b11ddaac9ebd_IMG_64802.thumb.jpg.a8c82c92366b3de90554cb19ad5878a7.jpg
These fossils are all various trilobite pygidiums. Some of these are of the genera:
-Flexicalymene (common)
-Tricopeltia (quite rare) :) 

I haven't yet identified them all, but I look forward to doing so. 

IMG_6485.jpg.c10bdce23db48ebab546600a9920121f.jpg
Now for the better fossils!
Here are two partial Tricopeltia sp. trilobites. I do not know how I found so many on this trip, as they are rare! These partials would be the dream of any collector in my region.

IMG_6487.thumb.jpg.fda043ba719d6be8a83be5267f821c72.jpgIMG_6488.thumb.jpg.7358d4326360441d3dbe8a0f6ffeee70.jpg
Although this is roughly 15% percent of an actual Isotelus maximus, I am very proud to present this partial cephalon with an intact eye and hypostoma! It is my largest Isotelus piece. I turned every rock over in the area, but could not find a single new fragment of this fossil. This would be from a large trilobite. I hope I can find the rest next time. :) 

IMG_6496.thumb.jpg.d38e06c25f8650f4dd950d4ca5dbe341.jpg
These straight-shelled cephalopods are only made second by the trilobites I am about to post.

The massive orthocone at the top is in two pieces, and was found in six pieces over a 2m*1m area.
Yes, that entire top row is from one absolute behemoth of a straight-shelled cephalopod.
It is either Cameroceras or Endoceras. It is absolutely huge. I doubt it will be rivaled by any other of my cephalopod finds soon.

I'd also like to note the partially coiled cephalopod 2nd from the left in the middle row. I have never found anything like it. 

Holy smokes!!! What a trip!

That's more than enough ammo to make this newbie jealous.

Some nice finds, you really did have a good day. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Now, for the even more awesome part regarding the huge orthocone.
It has a trilobite on it!! (Partial, at least)
zoom1triloceras.JPG.da3ccc66e2a8e4ee489964ff1d92fe92.JPG
Zoom2triloceras.JPG.3f37b86b390c9683ae35adc14ace0a8d.JPG
Isn't it just awesome?!? A trilobite hitchhiker! ;) 

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Some nice finds, you really did have a good day. :)

1 minute ago, Gettin' Jiggy said:

Holy smokes!!! What a trip!

That's more than enough ammo to make this newbie jealous.

Not done yet. :) 

IMG_6483.jpg.b5cdea10a110d0c9a2d42358cb760dfd.jpgIMG_6484.jpg.fe28dbbb29b1f3e51f5f6a99350c2214.jpg
:raindance::yay-smiley-1::raindance:
These trilobites are all complete Tricopeltia Briveceps! I had doubts when I first identified these, keeping in mind just how rare they were... but no, they really are Tricopeltia. I had to resort to the ID forum to double-check my ID on these trilobites, so a big thanks to you all who reassured me!

Finding a single one of these is very rare, and finding four of them is just outrageous!! This is not mentioning the two partial Tricopeltia I found, along with several pygidiums. They were clustered in a particular area of the roadcut. The crazy part is- these are my first trilobites, and I am going to explode if I do not return to find even more of these!

This is all thanks to @Uncle Siphuncle, who took the time to PM me extreme amounts of information so that I could find my first trilobite. I cannot thank him enough- my first trilobites were actually museum worthy! None of these amazing finds would have occurred without you. I realize how much of a huge step this is for me and my expanding collection. 

On 6/1/2018 at 8:53 PM, FossilSniper said:

These trilobites are all complete Tricopeltia Briveceps! I had doubts when I first identified these, keeping in mind just how rare they were... but no, they really are Tricopeltia. I had to resort to the ID forum to double-check my ID on these trilobites, so a big thanks to you all who reassured me!

Finding a single one of these is very rare, and finding four of them is just outrageous!! This is not mentioning the two partial Tricopeltia I found, along with several pygidiums. They were clustered in a particular area of the roadcut. The crazy part is- these are my first trilobites, and I am going to explode if I do not return to find even more of these!

This is all thanks to @Uncle Siphuncle, who took the time to PM me extreme amounts of information so that I could find my first trilobite. I cannot thank him enough- my first trilobites are museum worthy! None of these amazing finds would have occurred without you. I realize how much of a huge step this is for me and my expanding collection. 

Indeed, those T. breviceps are phenomenal! :drool:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Okay, you were right. Best for last. Those are incredible!!

He hasn't helped me directly yet, but I've read a lot of what Uncle Siphuncle has posted on Texas and he is a treasure trove of knowledge!

To those concerned that I am an irresponsible kiddo flicking these trilobites around my tabletop, I am not. ;) 
They are very safely mounted on my (new!) lighted glass + mirror fossil display shelf for my whole family to see. 
I hope you all enjoyed viewing them as much as I did finding them!

I have nothing more to post from my two excursions. 

Nice report and finds, Sniper. :)

Thanks for posting these.

Now get back out there and enjoy that beginner's luck. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Good job! That is a great site... as I keep observing every time someone posts their find from there!

Wish we had something like it closer to home, here.

Some amazing finds there! Now that I think about it, I have never actually found a complete trilobite, though many partials. The bent orthocone has a name and its on the top of my tongue, I know I have a book with its name in it some where, I’ll look for it tomorrow.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Holy cow, what a successful hunt! Those are some great trilobites and cephalopods, I'm in awe. 

Well done, young squire.  With the latest photos, I can now see how spectacular these bugs are.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

On 6/1/2018 at 8:36 PM, FossilSniper said:

Now, for the even more awesome part regarding the huge orthocone.
It has a trilobite on it!! (Partial, at least)
zoom1triloceras.JPG.da3ccc66e2a8e4ee489964ff1d92fe92.JPG
Zoom2triloceras.JPG.3f37b86b390c9683ae35adc14ace0a8d.JPG
Isn't it just awesome?!? A trilobite hitchhiker! ;) 

That is very cool!

Love the trip report. Thanks for sharing.

I have never found trilobites. So those are awesome first finds. Congratulations. 

Congratulations on the wonderful finds!!!!!  I, too, love that Hormotoma, as well as everything else!  Well done!

Archived