Wrangellian

Sounds like a lot of work, but then what isn't?? But I get the idea, thanks. How do you remove it - you mean from the eyepiece, not just switching the eyepiece with the one that doesn't have it?

Knowing that it can be done, I might be able to figure it out..

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Sounds like a lot of work, but then what isn't?? But I get the idea, thanks. How do you remove it - you mean from the eyepiece, not just switching the eyepiece with the one that doesn't have it?

Knowing that it can be done, I might be able to figure it out..

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds :)

The reticle is a little glass disc in the eye piece.  I'm not sure what the configuration of your eyepiece is like, but usually, one can pull out the eyepiece and on the side opposite of the lens, there is a plastic  fitting or a wire spring hoop that pulls or screws out. This is what holds the reticle in place. Once that is removed the little reticle disc will fall out.  Then replace whatever fitting you removed and re-insert the ocular lens.

If you have an *extra* eyepiece / ocular lens, then by all means just switch them. 

• I found this Informative 1

21 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Are you anywhere near the places in Portugal that produce trilobites?

Portugal isn't a large country so for most of  our distances will be short for you. I know two spots where we can find a few Ordovician trilobites, but those are few, usually incomplete inside phosphate concretions… nothing special. 

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Portugal isn't a large country so for most of  our distances will be short for you. I know two spots where we can find a few Ordovician trilobites, but those are few, usually incomplete inside phosphate concretions… nothing special. 

They might be worth seeing, anyway. What about those nice complete ones we see for sale sometimes?

Yes, most of the trilobite-bearing rock in this part of the world is further away than any part of Portugal is for you, so I can't collect any myself!

1 minute ago, stats said:

Nice finds!

Cheers,

Rich

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, stats said:

Seems, I need to start checking out garage sales...

Cheers,

Rich

Yes... In your area you might come across some old-time Mazon Creek fossils.

Checkout craigslist too - I've acquired some decent fossils from there too, although the location info isn't always included by seller and then you have to fill in the gaps yourself (or with our help) - not the ideal situation but sometimes the location is obvious, as with the Caloceras ammonite from Somerset that I scored.

Remember that this sale was from a member of the local rockhound club so it was mainly rocks/fossils and related items, not just a random garage sale. Joining your local rockhound or fossil club if you have one is a good way to increase a collection and get into collecting sites that you might not be able to (or even know about) otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Yes... In your area you might come across some old-time Mazon Creek fossils.

Checkout craigslist too - I've acquired some decent fossils from there too, although the location info isn't always included by seller and then you have to fill in the gaps yourself (or with our help) - not the ideal situation but sometimes the location is obvious, as with the Caloceras ammonite from Somerset that I scored.

Remember that this sale was from a member of the local rockhound club so it was mainly rocks/fossils and related items, not just a random garage sale. Joining your local rockhound or fossil club if you have one is a good way to increase a collection and get into collecting sites that you might not be able to (or even know about) otherwise.

All good suggestions for any collector.  I hadn't thought of the garage sale angle.  Mazon Creek fossils  are my primary collecting interest and have a pretty good sized collection.  I need to check for garage sales down in the areas we generally hunt - Wilmington, Braidwood, Coal City. etc.  We have a good state park - Mazonia, but it gets overgrown quickly.  We mostly hunt it during the early spring. Thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

9 minutes ago, stats said:

All good suggestions for any collector.  I hadn't thought of the garage sale angle.  Mazon Creek fossils  are my primary collecting interest and have a pretty good sized collection.  I need to check for garage sales down in the areas we generally hunt - Wilmington, Braidwood, Coal City. etc.  We have a good state park - Mazonia, but it gets overgrown quickly.  We mostly hunt it during the early spring. Thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

Good luck! I'd love to be able to collect the Mazon area but I gather it's getting harder and harder, from what you and others say.

A couple trilo's from the Tanglefoot Creek area of BC (Upper Cambrian). Nothing special but they were in the Utah lot. (Good thing I can tell them apart)

Labiostria I believe (the larger one at least?)

tanglefoot.jpg

On 03/06/2018 at 11:11 PM, Wrangellian said:

They might be worth seeing, anyway. What about those nice complete ones we see for sale sometimes?

Yes, most of the trilobite-bearing rock in this part of the world is further away than any part of Portugal is for you, so I can't collect any myself!

Hello, 

The good ones comes usually from Santa Justa Mt. (Valongo) near Oporto. It is forbidden collect there since it is a Geological.

Kind regards,

Ricardo

22 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Nice E. giganteus, glad to see someone else with one in their collection!

It comes from Covelo also... like yours.

Congratulations that one is great.  

This is a good magazine to knew something about Portuguese Ordovician trilobites.

F-HSI-2010.jpg.ebefe161979274665c635e2eeab8ba62.jpg

Regards