Mosquito fossil from Liaoning

I would say they look genuine to me. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I can't see any obvious red flags. 

I say real. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It’s pretty amazing to see that mosquitoes could be preserved so well, you can see it’s antennae and mouthpart.

The preservation is excellent, it looks just like one I could have smashed into my wall on a hot summer night. 

I think it's part and counterpart of one individual instead of two different mosquitoes.

2 hours ago, jpenn said:

I think it's part and counterpart of one individual instead of two different mosquitoes.

I second that!

2 hours ago, jpenn said:

The preservation is excellent, it looks just like one I could have smashed into my wall on a hot summer night. 

Smart! I did not see that. Good spot.

Very nice!  The earliest mosquito is described in Mid-Cretaceous Burmese amber. 

Daohugou is estimated from the late Jurassic to early Cretaceous, ~30 My older.

Borkent, A., & Grimaldi, D.A. 2004

The earliest fossil mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae), in Mid-Cretaceous Burmese amber.

Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 97(5):882-888  PDF LINK

Is it really a mosquito or perhaps something else?  @FossilDAWG

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

These are incredible!!! :trilosurprise::wub:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

They look much too detailed/well-preserved to be fake. Very nice.

Definitely part and counterpart of the same specimen. Keep them together!

Beautiful specimens... but they ain't mozzies!

Mosquitoes are flies, i.e. Diptera; the name means two-winged, because the second pair of wings is reduced to little gyroscopes called halteres. These have four wings, so they're something else entirely... but what?

The dark patch on each wing should be the pterostigma... but it should be on the leading edge, not the hind edge, suggesting that the wings are twizzled round. That's weird, but possible. I'm trying to work out which order of insects this is, but am struggling. Hymenoptera normally have a pterostigma only on the forewing, for example, whereas lacewings (which might otherwise fit quite well) have... well, lacy wings. :blink:

Can you see any mouthparts? That might help a bit...

16 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

some kind of mesochrysopid?

Not with that venation, Ben... at least, it doesn't make sense for any neuropterans I've seen, and I think the venation is shared across the group. Still baffled!

There is a book in our library on the Jehol Biota; I'll hopefully be able to get a look at it tomorrow.

Edit: have called in some reinforcements, too...

I jest might have the largest Mesozoic insect literature bibliobase of any Forum member .

And yes,i realized it couldn't be a mesochrysopid,but i find mistakes,particularly my own, can be/are informative

Can recommend those interested in Liaoning Neuroptera the Makarkin 2012 CretRes piece

edit: if it's from Kezuo,you might need Youchong Hong's pieces,Joe(Professional Papers in Paleontology and Straigraphy series)

Eoptychopteran?(Yes,I know,but let me fall flat on my face once more.I love that):P

gives me an excuse to threadjack:P

Bring in D.Ren,I say.

Why "D"? Because of automatic censorship:P

Do not worry, your fossil is 100% real. But I do not think it's a mosquito, but in my opinion it's a Dipteran fossil, also known as "crane fly". And some representatives still live today:

image.png.c6336acd970ad762039b7feb573a3764.png

For comparison purposes, here is a fossil of "crane fly" that belongs to my private collection, which was discovered in Yixian Formation, Huangbangi Valley, Beipiao, Liaoning Province of China:

image.png.e0bc27a38fad1b26db61715fa78caad5.png

Congratulations , you have a beautiful fossil in your hands!:D

Sibirobittacus atalus?:blink: :headscratch:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

huj.jpg

I can't deny the resemblance,Seg.Wing venation,certain unmentionable parts,setation,there's a whole lot going on in insect systematics.

BTW<the above image is form Martynov(1924),Mesoraphidia elongata,sex not determined

For a different taphonomy(Bechly knows his stuff,BTW,HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended,cited by e.g. Makarkin("Systematics as by Bechly"))

or,direct

ISE-Raphidioptera.pdf(2,something Mb)

Unfortunately, it doesn't get around the fact that this has four wings and therefore isn't a dipteran. ;)

Noted,as before,but I'll use any old excuse to be in and stay in a thread on a worldfamous lagerstatt :P

It's not pyritized,BTW.A lot of Jehol insects are pyritized(Wang/Palaios/2012,Pm me if you want that one,Joe)

:rofl:

Still haven't got an answer, myself. The venation (what I can see of it) reminds me of a psocopteran, but the rest is just not right (at least for modern ones). Intriguing thing!

Throw in "Stem group".Nah,jest kiddin'^_^

Btw: do those wings classify as "hyaline"?

huj.jpg

Archived