Crinoid Part?

sTamprockcoin

From my new favorite spot I found this weathered out. I think its part of a Crinoid though I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Crinoid part 1.jpg

Crinoid part 2.jpg

Crinoid part 3.jpg

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

I also came across this in the sandstone  which I believe is a mold of a coral but I'm not sure.

Unknown 1 side 2.jpg

Unknown 1 togeher.jpg

Unknown 1.jpg

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Where exactly were these found? 
2nd is a branching coral impression.
Not sure on ID for the first one, though I am thinking crinoid as well. It is large!
Neat finds.

Did you find this near Ridgley, Maryland? It may be from Quaternary or Tertiary.

The first fossil (crinoid?) is made of interesting material. If you could retake the second photo in full resolution, so that one might zoom in, I think it would help.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Both of these are from the Ridgley member (formerly the Oriskany sandstone) in Hollidaysburg,  Blair county, Pennsylvania. In the Oriskany the replacement material is often a strange (rosettes of) quartz/silicate. Some fossils are chert filled which is why they weather out of the sanstone so well. I'll post the higher res photo later.

Repost of photo @ higher res.

P1020593.JPG

I'm not familiar with the area, but the somehow five fold symmetry reminds me of echinoderms, especially crinoid, column with a petal like lumen in cross section. The diagenetically transformed material looks like Beekite tendind to form rings in some areas. I suppose your specimen might be geodized crinoid column - to - holdfast portion, inflated and deformed in the transformation process, saying this without any reference to the possible family / genus / species.

F13.large.thumb.jpg.d18ec4e648832e53df1ff929a8bfda5f.jpgF11.large.jpg.d4bed454ce2402b768973eadd308c0d4.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Cool & Thanks for the beekite reminder. Any further input from others is welcome but I'm thrilled  just to be able to confirm it as a holdfast. I'm hoping to find a calyx at this location too.

Hi,

You wrote:

"I'm hoping to find a calyx at this location too."

45 to 50 years ago, I went fossil hunting in the "Oriskany sandstone" in a sand pit in Pennsylvania on a family vacation to Cape Cod. I found lots of crinoid calyces with stems and arms attach. The problem is that were all hollow, but exquisite and detailed, external molds in sandstone boulders. There was not any way of extracting the fossils without them crumbling into fine sand. I could just have cried. 

If only there had been some type of rubber latex-like cement that could have poured into the external mold, let dry, and removed the enclosing sandstone. If only digital cameras had been invented.

So it goes,

Paul H.

Archived