Any ideas? Gay Head Cliffs, Martha's Vineyard, MA

Jeff Hoppne

13 minutes ago, ynot said:

Thanks for the additional pictures. 

I would still like to see the other sides.

Regards,

Tony

I'm sorry, I didn't even think to take a picture of the other side. It shows no trace of the geometric pattern seen in these pictures. It is not in my possession at the moment, but I can get more photos in a week or so.

5 minutes ago, Auspex said:

I refer not to the shape of the bumps, but to their un-honeycomb-like arrangement.

As do I, here’s an excerpt from Wikipedia (though some might say it’s an unreliable source):

“Both irregular and regular nets are known throughout the stratigraphic range of Paleodictyon, but it is the striking regular honeycomb pattern of some forms such as P. carpathecum and P. nodosum which make it notable and widely studied.”

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2018 at 9:48 AM, KimTexan said:

I often have that problem. I email the photos to myself and when I click send it asks me what size I want to send the pics as. I pick whatever option is just below the 3.95 mb limit.

I am an amiture so I have no idea what it is. At first I thought it could be man made, but subtle clues on the bottom of the specimen lead me to believe it is not man made. 

There are holes on the bottom where it appears some of the convex shapes have fallen out and the hole appears to go through the rock.

It could still be a geologic form, but I am leaning towards a form of coral.

@ynot is really good at identifying geologic forms as well as many fossils. Maybe he has some insight.

More pics would be helpful.

So I was able to see the fossil again this week and took more pictures from different angles, including the reverse side. Hope this helps: http://imgur.com/gallery/D4bHLIT

@piranha is good with plants (as well as trilobites), and also has contact with paleobotanists.  Hopefully he can offer some insight.

As for me, I am unsure that this is a fossil; it has some hint of an artifact/human creation.  I am not certain of that however.

Don

• I found this Informative 1