I bought this specimen on eBay about 10 years ago, from a reputable seller who had a lot of other Hell Creek material.  It was listed as a Tyrannosaurus rex tooth, from the Hell Creek Formation of Montana.  It obviously has a lot of repairs and is quite fragmentary, but overall seemed to be a genuine fossil, and for the $350 I paid it seemed like a good deal.  But recently, on closer examination, I got a little worried.  There is no trace of serrations whatsoever on any part of the tooth, which seems odd- the only non-serrated large theropod teeth I know of are the spinosaurids, which this doesn't resemble overall (and which don't occur in the Hell Creek anyway).  I guess what I'm asking the dino tooth experts here is a) Should I be worried about the lack of serrations? and b )  Is there anything else suspicious about this tooth?   I tried to get different angles for the photos, but am happy to take more if that might be useful.  Any help is appreciated.

trex1.jpg

trex2.jpg

trex3.jpg

trex4.jpg

trex5.jpg

Perhaps the serrations are worn. Also the tooth looks like a fragment of a tooth. Looks legit to me but maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to confirm!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Looks legit, sometimes serrations are worn or don't occur on the lower part of the tooth (close to the root). I don't think it is possible to tell if this is Nanotyrannus or Tyrannosaurus. Nice partial tooth.

Edit: after seeing the size of this fragment I agree It is most likely Tyrannosaurus rex.

It looks like a nice Rex fragment! Trex teeth are thick and round like a banana and your tooth fits that description. Also the lack of serrations can be explained by this either being a part of the tooth that doesn't have serrations or the serrations are worn down. 

I agree,looks Rexish. Large fragment of a rather large tooth. 

Thank you for all the input, guess I was just being a bit paranoid.  (But does it count as paranoia when there really are people out there trying to sell fake fossils...)

Archived