Fossil hunting creeks near Summerville SC savannah ga or jacksonville

Mynewlife

I have been fossil hunting about three years and have been to one ditch on the outskirts of Summerville sc that yielded a few colorful teeth, but it is secluded and hasn't felt very safe. It is screenable since it is outside city limits. However I'd like to find some new places to try in the area. I did walk the creek on the side of the YMCA ball field but the bottom was very hard and unfruitful and I'm not even sure I was in the right place.  Can anyone offer any suggestions on where I might try as I am fairly new.  I'm not asking for everyone's "honey hole" as I understand it takes work to find good areas. I'm just looking to find a place I can go to maybe on a weekend trip since I live two hours away as a part time hobby. I am even open to guided fossil hunt tours if anyone knows any good ones in the Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA or Jacksonville, FL areas. Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Mynewlife said:

I have been fossil hunting about three years and have been to one ditch on the outskirts of Summerville sc that yielded a few colorful teeth, but it is secluded and hasn't felt very safe. It is screenable since it is outside city limits. However I'd like to find some new places to try in the area. I did walk the creek on the side of the YMCA ball field but the bottom was very hard and unfruitful and I'm not even sure I was in the right place.  Can anyone offer any suggestions on where I might try as I am fairly new.  I'm not asking for everyone's "honey hole" as I understand it takes work to find good areas. I'm just looking to find a place I can go to maybe on a weekend trip since I live two hours away as a part time hobby. I am even open to guided fossil hunt tours if anyone knows any good ones in the Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA or Jacksonville, FL areas. Thanks!

Ashby Gale over at Charleston Fossil Adventures LLC is a good start. The Palmetto Paleontological Society meets once a month in Charleston on Sundays. I can never make it out but the folks there are really knowledgeable and they are associated with the Mace Brown museum in Charleston ... which is also worth a visit. 

Good Luck you are in the right spot. I would say that it takes time and a lot of hunting trust and relationship building. Mostly hunting though. Lots and lots of it...... 

Welcome to TFF.  It is a really great place for fossil hunters.  A suggestion while you wait for other answers. Your question has been asked before . You can see responses by searching on the home page for Savannah (246 hits) or Jacksonville, etc.  I like the response of join a local fossil club.. It takes time, but it is how I started...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for the info! I just read about the Palmetto Paleontological society today as a matter of fact! I will definitely try to make a meeting of theirs. Wish we had something around Savannah but I have not been able to find too many interested fossil seekers close by.  I will also check out the museum in Charleston as I go there once a year with my parents.  Yes I am learning quickly it is going to be lots of hunting which is ok with me. I just need a little jump start in the right direction.  I had tried researching online and went out two weeks ago to the YMCA ball fields in Summerville. I proceeded to wade in the creek there and found absolutely nothing but very hard bottom and lots of fish and critters.  I almost think I am crazy even venturing out doing this sometimes.  Haha. I have been told of this spot before but I really must have been in the wrong area.  Well thank you and I will definitely check the museum out.  I am also trying to find a time to take one of Ashly's tours.

35 minutes ago, caldigger said:

@Brett Breakin' Rocks here is a Savahanna hunter you might want to talk to.

Thanks .. I just sent over a PM for a spot near the city that is worth looking into .....

Cheers !

Brett

Archived