Sangerfield Fossilhunt 5/3/18

Darktooth

Today I took my two youngest to Cole Hill Road, for a Dipleura hunt.  We got there shortly after 10 am. Right off the bat my son Devin found two rather nice bivalves that I had left behind from my last trip. I forgot about them and let him keep them. I decided to work the same spot and see how things went. Bembexia was the flavor off the day. I found so many of them. I only kept the ones that popped out of the matrix. I found a few Spyroceras that were bigger then what I normally find at this site. A few other goodies that I haven't I'd yet. I really had a hard time keeping the boys focused today. I know that they are getting bored with this type of hunting. They really want to do some sharktooth hunting. So I tried to hype things up with telling them I had good feeling about finding a large Dipleura. I did have a good feeling but I only half believed it. I decided to dig where I found a nearly complete one last summer. Under some plants and shrubs there is highly fractured and weathered rock. I took a garden hoe and started yanking out all the loose rock. After a couple minutes I see a rock with segments start rolling down the debris pile I was making. Immediately I knew what is was. Only I didn't know how much was there or the condition. It is not the biggest I ever found. Nor is it in great condition. But I can't complain considering I worked the weathered section of the cliff. Pygidium , thorax, and cephalon are all present but with some damage. All in all it was a great day to be out with my boys and finding some decent things. I am posting a few photos now and I will post more after I clean things up. Hope you enjoy.

20180603_164908.jpg

20180603_164916.jpg

20180603_164925.jpg

20180603_164947.jpg

20180603_164956.jpg

20180603_165054.jpg

20180603_165135.jpg

20180603_165159.jpg

20180603_165209.jpg

20180603_165239.jpg

20180603_165403.jpg

20180603_165554.jpg

20180603_165604.jpg

20180603_165623.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Glad you had a nice day out with the boys. :)

Some pretty good finds, too! 

Like the nautiloids, trilos and bivalves and those brachiopods are great!

Thanks for sharing. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Great finds, Dave!

Glad your Dipleura whispering skills were on point today. ;) 

You may have to break down and take the boys for teeth soon! 

Thanks for the report. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sounds like you had a good day out.
I'd like to see them all cleaned up :) 

37 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great finds, Dave!

Glad your Dipleura whispering skills were on point today. ;) 

You may have to break down and take the boys for teeth soon! 

Thanks for the report. 

37 minutes ago, FossilSniper said:

Sounds like you had a good day out.
I'd like to see them all cleaned up :) 

Thanks Tim! Yes I will have to take them on a tooth hunt soon. I have been wanting to go for awhile now. Its been to long.

I plan on taking more pics after everything is cleaned up, I just don't have the time at the moment.  Maybe tomorrow evening. :)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Nice finds, those bugs are huge! Must’ve been a nice amount of food to feed’em to that size.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

15 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice finds, those bugs are huge! Must’ve been a nice amount of food to feed’em to that size.

Thanks Mason, Sometimes I like to imagine these big trilos ambushing their prey:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

55 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice report and finds.

Thank-you Tony!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Beautiful bivalves, Dave!  And those Spyroceras chunks... :wub:

Congrats on that big Dipleura roller - fantastic find!!! :yay-smiley-1:

Nice finds!  The Dipleura is nice; glad you had a successful hunt!  You found some nice pieces!

5 hours ago, Monica said:

Beautiful bivalves, Dave!  And those Spyroceras chunks... :wub:

Congrats on that big Dipleura roller - fantastic find!!! :yay-smiley-1:

4 hours ago, Dpaul7 said:

Nice finds!  The Dipleura is nice; glad you had a successful hunt!  You found some nice pieces!

Thanks Monica and Dpaul7! Yeah I really love Dipleuras. I only wish I had them in my backyard like @Rocky Stoner:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

6 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Thanks Monica and Dpaul7! Yeah I really love Dipleuras. I only wish I had them in my backyard like @Rocky Stoner:)

WOW!  I was just up in your area 2 and 3 days ago.  I was looking wistfully at all the rock cuts along the highways - We visited 5 French & Indiana War era forts... Fort William Henry, Ticonderoga, Crown Point & Fort Frederic, and then over to Saratoga for Fort Stanwix.

3 minutes ago, Dpaul7 said:

WOW!  I was just up in your area 2 and 3 days ago.  I was looking wistfully at all the rock cuts along the highways - We visited 5 French & Indiana War era forts... Fort William Henry, Ticonderoga, Crown Point & Fort Frederic, and then over to Saratoga for Fort Stanwix.

Well next time you plan on being in the area let me know and maybe we could do a hunt.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I really loved all the areas we traveled through!  Very beautiful country!

On 6/5/2018 at 10:05 AM, Darktooth said:

That trilo is quite impressive, thanks for posting it !

I might just have to invite you and your divining rods down here for an expedition.:)

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, Dpaul7 said:

You missed an excellent Ordovician trilobite site just north of Crown Point. TOO BAD! Maybe next time. I agree the area, especially up there is extraordinarily beautiful. 

Congratulations Dave on some excellent finds. I especially like the bivalves; Paracyclas rugosa and Cypricardella tenuistriata. That rolled Dipleura is a keeper too. 

Archived