Kathi

Can anyone ID these fossils found on Lake Michigan beach. I'm guessing they're various types of algae

DSC08944a.jpg

DSC09344a.jpg

DSC09348.jpg

1 and 3 aren’t fossils, I’m afraid. 2 possibly contains some badly weathered remains of shell or similar material, but it’s hard to be certain from the photo. 

https://twitter.com/Fossil_News

The "InvertebrateMe" blog
http://invertebrateme.wordpress.com

1 and 3 look metamorphic, but number 2 looks sedimentary and may very well have remains of marine creatures in them, though as @Wendell Ricketts said, they are badly weathered so not enough to go on.

Welcome to the forum! Hope to see more finds from you, Kathi. 

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I am curious if #1 looks quite different when wet. Are you able to see more features when wet?

I think there might be bryozoans in this pebble.
Can we get better close up images with a scale for this one?

DSC09344a.jpg.d6c4832eb50ef121b22b41f878e48a14.thumb.jpg.c9a88a7870b105f3c6fe8c087ed93021.jpgf566eeadc0744aff5432b221e2e6963a.thumb.jpg.3bab70dd7789ebb4fae47ce66b7b78ca.jpg

comparative picture from here

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I like your comparison Abyssunder. By Lake Michigan we find lots of Devonian seafloor embedded fossils washed up on shore which were dug up from the glaciers, especially various coral and crinoids. These sparked my curiosity as being more than just rock. Seems everyone agrees that 1 and 3 aren't fossils. To answer Kim, #1 can be seen better when wet. I posted the flip side of it which looks like it has a crinoid fossil, but I wanted to know what the other markings were. Anyway, thanks everyone for your input.

DSC09477.JPG

Edited by Kathi

This is another similar fossil showing both sides if that helps. One side definitely has a crinoid stem, but the other markings intrigue me with the same teardrop like markings and streaks! 

DSC09479.JPG

DSC09482.JPG

The last rock shows a horn coral cross section (in first picture). The "teardrop" are an oblique cross section, but I am unsure of what., and what appear to be bryozoan (second picture)

The first picture (that is wet) is a nautiloid cross section.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I suspected we might see more when wet that might help with ID. I’ve seen quite a number of similar fossils posted from the Great Lakes area. 

You should consider polishing it. I have seen stuff similar to your 4th stone come out absolutely stunning. 

Here is a post on the TFF Facebook group from a similar stone from Michigan after it was polished. The transformation is stunning and the result is exquisite!! The results were shocking to myself and others. It’s a must see. Although I’m not sure which lake it came from.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/135008766530423/permalink/1807813712583245/

• I found this Informative 3

Oh wow, Kim, thanks for the tip. I checked out the FB link of polished stone from Lake Michigan. So beautiful when polished . . . who knew. I have so many of those types of fossils. I very much recognize the "Petoskey Stone" Hexagonaria, percarinata and the favosite corals as well as the circular crinoid stems. I'm tempted to give it a try!

2 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I suspected we might see more when wet that might help with ID. I’ve seen quite a number of similar fossils posted from the Great Lakes area. 

You should consider polishing it. I have seen stuff similar to your 4th stone come out absolutely stunning. 

Here is a post on the TFF Facebook group from a similar stone from Michigan after it was polished. The transformation is stunning and the result is exquisite!! The results were shocking to myself and others. It’s a must see. Although I’m not sure which lake it came from.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/135008766530423/permalink/1807813712583245/

Omg....never imagined it could come to those colours...amazing

• 1 year later...
On 04.06.2018 at 8:15 PM, Kathi said:

This is another similar fossil showing both sides if that helps. One side definitely has a crinoid stem, but the other markings intrigue me with the same teardrop like markings and streaks! 

DSC09479.JPG

DSC09482.JPG

And I see also Graptolithina (?)

%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F.jpg

img_15.jpg