Identification of Fossil, Big Rapids, Michigan

MKrueger

I thought this  might be a trilobite, but it isn't quite matching up.  I found this is Big Rapids Michigan, in my garden.  The overall rock is 2.25 inches in length, while the section in question is about .75 inches in length.  The second picture is the back side of the rock because why not. Thank you kindly for your help, Lord knows I need it.

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

Edited by MKrueger
Miss identified picture

Yes that is two-thirds of a trilobite pygidium; the central axis and one pleural lobe. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Looks like a trilobite tail (pygidium) to me. As far the age is concerned, its a toss up. This looks like erratic glacial deposition, which means narrowing down the geological time will be difficult. I know there are ordovician formations in Northern Michigan and silurian as well. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable putting an ID on it. However, there are others here who could narrow down the family or genus. Lets see if they chime in. Great garden find though....im kinda jelly...lol. Thanks for sharring this!

...I'm back.

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes that is two-thirds of a trilobite pygidium; the central axis and one pleural lobe. 

Rabble rabble you beat me by.like 1 second!!! Rofl

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

The broken caudal spine is the key feature on this trilobite.  The pygidium is a Devonian Bois Blanc Formation dalmanitid: Anchiopsis anchiops

IMG1.png.e3e3431654c271179377df062ddbb695.png

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

YES!  Awww, you all just made my night.  I love all my corals and the like, but I was hoping I might have something different as my window ledges are filling up with specimens.  I can loosely identify most of them as a fledgling fossil lass (and I mean mostly just the generic name), but this much detail is fantastic.  I am going to keep planting my garden and watching the rocks as they churn up.  Thanks again!

Here is a figured specimen of Anchiopsis anchiops that matches perfectly with your find.  Always glad to help! :fistbump:

IMG1.png.4ce5161904dd1ef2a4e279a0b5147896.png

Ludvigsen, R. 1979
Fossils of Ontario - Part 1: The Trilobites.

Royal Ontario Museum Publication, 96 pp.   LINK

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png