Hunterian Museum and Fossil Grove

thelivingdead531

On the last day of our Scotland tour we were in Glasgow so naturally I had to check out the Hunterian Museum located within the University of Glasgow and Fossil Grove in Victoria Park. The museum isn’t just a natural history museum but it had quite an impressive collection of smaller fossils (it’s not a large museum at all).

Fossil Grove was very interesting, though I wish it was a bit bigger and had a couple of souvenirs we could have purchased. I think I spent maybe 10 minutes in the building, which was cool and damp and a nice respite from the heat that was building up outside. It was fun to imagine the whole city once being covered by these trees and the giant creepy crawlies that would have inhabited the forest.

E6A43FA5-1E3E-4225-A587-1FFF6DBD3CB8.jpeg

8AC0CE13-550A-4FE8-B4A3-21FAD283C9CB.jpeg

72AE3ED7-869D-4E81-98F8-EF63AF19E747.jpeg

968AA8A8-DF18-4B34-A303-2499000A7911.jpeg

Somehow, I missed Fossil Grove when we visited Scotland several years ago. It's on my radar now--thanks!

Cheers.

-Ken

47 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

ED1674B8-2C59-4951-B86F-598BF09A4F2C.jpeg

What was this used for?  It seems to have an electrical access panel on the side of the base.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

13 minutes ago, digit said:

Somehow, I missed Fossil Grove when we visited Scotland several years ago. It's on my radar now--thanks!

Cheers.

-Ken

It’s a quick visit, but it was fun and interesting! I hope you get to go back and see it someday.

9 minutes ago, caldigger said:

What was this used for?  It seems to have an electrical access panel on the side of the base.

It’s just a model, the panel you see is actually a dedication plaque for when it was given to the park.

Thanks for the report! 

I really love the Fossil Grove and some of the museum exhibits are very interesting. 

Adore the big trilobite. 

I too can imagine Scotland covered in that ancient forest crawling with weird creatures.

Marvelous. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Another great report! Thanks for sharing your adventures! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

29 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Thanks for the report! 

I really love the Fossil Grove and some of the museum exhibits are very interesting. 

Adore the big trilobite. 

I too can imagine Scotland covered in that ancient forest crawling with weird creatures.

Marvelous. :)

16 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Another great report! Thanks for sharing your adventures! 

The pleasure was all mine! I’m glad I can share my experiences and adventures with everyone! 

10 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

It’s just a model, the panel you see is actually a dedication plaque for when it was given to the park.

So it's not cast from an actual fossil? I was wondering how accurate it was. That would have been cool...

Thanks for the tour! Britain has so many great fossil sites for such a small place (I know, it's not all that small, but it's the size of one or two US states and some states have nowhere near the diversity)

7 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

So it's not cast from an actual fossil? I was wondering how accurate it was. That would have been cool...

Thanks for the tour! Britain has so many great fossil sites for such a small place (I know, it's not all that small, but it's the size of one or two US states and some states have nowhere near the diversity)

I don’t believe that it is. Probably an artist recreation. The stumps and trunks inside Fossil Grove have been stripped of their bark and just left an internal cast. 

Great Britain is incredibly diverse, it makes for a wonderful place to live. I need to start taking longer trips to find different things. It’s quite easy to drive most places. In 4 hours I can be in Wales, in 6.5 hours I can be in Scotland. You don’t have that with the US, some states you’ll still be in after 4 hours or more. 

13 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

... You don’t have that with the US, some states you’ll still be in after 4 hours or more. 

More so in Canada where the provinces are even bigger!

Takes almost a day to cross BC going to Alberta - better done with an overnight stay somewhere in the interior. Much quicker to get to Washington State (and cross it, even, in a day) from where I'm at on southern Vancouver Island.

Lovely pictures and thanks for the report! I am especially fond of the Fossil Grove, I wonder, does anyone know if there are any similar in situ museums/attractions for Carboniferous fossils in the USA? (Also, I think the "Floor of Carboniferous Forest" image is actually of a display at the Field Museum in Chicago )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived