Prolylleceras sp Ammonite - Taxonomy?

Dpaul7

Hello!

I am fairly sure this specimen is Prolylleceras sp.  This piece came from Peru - My questions:

1.  Do you agree with the identification?

2.  WHAT IS THE TAXONOMY?  I see NO information for this; I see examples for SALE - but NOTHING on taxonomy.  Looked and searched in all the "normal" databases - nothing.  I am wondering if there is possibly another Genus name?

Thanks!

Ammonite - Peru 1.JPG

Ammonite - Peru 2.JPG

Ammonite - Peru 3.JPG

You can compare with this one : http://ammonites.fr/Fiches/0533.htm

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Good information!  The part about suture lines is great, but I cannot SEE suture lines! :doh!:

Would you agree I have Prolyelliceras peruvianum??    All I knew for SURE was black ammonite, Peru.  (From a local store).  It is not the best specimen, but it DOES seem to fit!

My Ammonites are giving me fits sometimes.  (BUT I DO LOVE THEM!)

Ammonite taxonomy  gives me fits too.^_^:D

I am a big fan of the French way of studying ammo's,BTW.

I will see if I have the 1930 Spath but I certainly do NOT have the 1897 Gerhardt.Pity:wacko: 

P.peruvianum might be Acanthoceras prosocurvatum

I will see if the 1930 Spath is available online... Do you know exact title?  In USA it SHOULD be out of copyright.  Otherwise, perhaps I can buy it.

Is it in French?  I can read French, and many other languages... not sure I will have all the scientific words... but I usually can muddle through.  I must look on some of the foreign forums, if they exist... I can read German, French, Russian, Portuguese, Italian among others... Latin if necessary!

I have a bunch of Ammonites from Timor... working on those.  The PROBLEM is... I start to study the characeteristics.... then find out they CAN be shared by others.  Just when I START to understand... I get confused again!  (It does NOT help to be old!!!)

Dave Ruckser  dpaul7

I cannot find Spath... but I DID order 2 books!  

Rugose Coral Genera by Geoffrey Cotton
Ammonites by Neale Monks

Hopefully they can help me a bit!!!!

Dave,Cotton is not too bad(obviously);):D,but you have to remember that the taxonomy of the Rugosa is subject to change.

Be careful with 1984 identifications,is what I'm saying!

Is the Monks in the Living Past Series(must be,I think)?

Just drop me a line when you encounter "ammo" problems,(particularly in the functional morphology area),but remember that Ludwigia and a host of other people very,very knowledgable about ammo's are around on this forum!!!

I am (now) aware of "sudden" changes in taxonomy!  I've run into it a couple of times!  While it can be slightly annoying, it DOES show progress in the understanding of ancient life!  Coral and Ammonites seem to give me a big problem...

Ludwiga was a GREAT help on an ammonite I needed help with.  I have not been active with fossils for perhaps 45 years - so I am trying to "catch up".  If we were dealing with COINS, then I am the one who helps, especially with Chinese and Medieval ones. Each day I absorb a bit more information about my fossils... It will eventually come to me!  I am building my collection with the goal of learning to identify and learn about the various life forms of the  past.  I really appreciate all the help I get here at the forum, and hope some day to be able to help others!

Dave Ruckser

Great spirit ,Dave!I know of at least one member who has a bit of interest in coins.:ninja:,btw.

5 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Great spirit ,Dave!I know of at least one member who has a bit of interest in coins.:ninja:,btw.

Well, if that member needs help with IDs on those coins, they can certainly contact me!  I've done several books on the subject; they are on academia.edu as free downloads; also on several foreign sites.  They are VERY popular in the former Soviet Union and Portugal... one can find them on web sites there!  The Portuguese especially liked them; I belong to their society; was member of the year for 2014!  I flew over to get the award, and met a lot of friends IN PERSON!  A wonderful trip; my usual travels are to see my family in Taiwan.  (NEXT trip to Taiwan I will be looking for FOSSILS!!!!!!!)

DR

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Have You seen this thread?

What a great post!  I recognized most of the pieces (their types) as old friends from my coin collecting/dealing days!  (I just closed my Flea-Bay store last month)!  I've handled some rare ones in my day!  One I posted for a friend on E-Bay - Early American - Starting at $99.  It quickly climbed to over $2,000 in a matter of a couple hours!  We removed it.... (I got hate mail and offers of $20,000+)  It sold on Heritage Auction at the Baltimore show a couple years back for $35,500!  Turns out there were 13 known - THIS was #14, and considered the best of them all!   ANYONE needing book references for coins... I have over 10,000 books/articles; 90% in PDF Format.  Happy to share; i have an XLS list available to anyone interested.  Also, again, MY books are available for free download on academia.edu - Many years ago, I could NOT find references I need - (I have since found/bought the "official" ones) - but these are decent beginner books!

https://independent.academia.edu/DavidRuckser

4 minutes ago, Dpaul7 said:

. I have over 10,000 books/articles; 90% in PDF Format.  Happy to share; i have an XLS list available to anyone interested.  Also, again, MY books are available for free download on academia.edu - Many years ago, I could NOT find references I need - (I have since found/bought the "official" ones) - but these are decent beginner books!

https://independent.academia.edu/DavidRuckser

You should post this on the coin thread.

5 minutes ago, Dpaul7 said:

Turns out there were 13 known - THIS was #14, and considered the best of them all!  

Gotta love finding those rarities!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived