Walking Dirt Roads for Megalodon, Great Whites and Inverts

Cris

I just uploaded the first of many fossil hunting vids to my YouTube channel. I should be able to share a lot more of my fossil hunts this way from now on.

We (@addicted2fossils and myself) were walking dirt roads in FL that have shell material dumped on them, with teeth mixed in. We also found tons of invertebrates (gastropods, bivalves, coral), calcite crystals, whale bone, a nice great white shark tooth, a nice meg, lots of partials, etc.

For those of you who do not want to watch a video, here's some pics from the hunt: 

vlcsnap-2018-06-04-13h40m24s370.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-04-13h43m52s547.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-04-13h41m21s493.png

• I found this Informative 9

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Great video, Cris!

I think you should have the sound bite of your screaming "Oh, yeah!" through your regulator as your phone's ring tone. :)

Looks like you two were having a blast picking fossils from the roads.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice finds! I'll check out the video later, I love watching people fossil hunting on YouTube! What part of Florida if you dont mind me asking? My mother is moving to florida soon and ill be looking for some places to fossil hunt during times I go down to visit her.

Must be nice to be able to hunt fossils in the streets!

Nice video.

The new Florida tourist tag....

"Come to Florida where the streets are paved with fossils!"

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

The keys are actually made of ancient coral deposits...  so that's not wrong! :D :rofl:

I liked your video. I wish I had the opportunity to hunt for teeth. Looks like you two had fun!

And more than just the Florida Keys. They mine the fossil bearing limestone for building roads. If I go out to my mailbox and look in the paved cul-de-sac next to it, I can spot all manner of fossilized shells that were ground up and mixed with tar to make the asphalt with which the street is paved. Then again, if I dig a hole anywhere on my property I'll turn up all sorts of mollusk shells, bivalves and gastropod. On rare occasion I'll find a small piece of coral but I've never found shark teeth.

They say familiarity breeds contempt and though the shells are sometimes quite stunning, it is hard to get too excited as they are just so common--now maybe if my backyard was filled with trilobites. ;):trilo:

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: To answer @ToothMan, the roads in the video are likely someplace in north central Florida.

@Cris that's pretty awesome. Sounds like you two scored big time.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

You Floridians are so spoiled!:envy:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

32 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

You Floridians are so spoiled!

That might explain the smell my wife keeps complaining about. :P

Actually, we are quite blessed with a variety of fossils but we still suffer from the 'grass is greener' syndrome and long for things like trilobites and dinosaurs which are not represented in Florida.

Cheers.

-Ken

A place where even the roads bear beautiful fossils! Though I guess the odd cut will have a brachiopod or two up here. Nice finds! Especially love the meg and the GW. Did you leave the big whale chunk on the road?  

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, digit said:

Great video, Cris!

I think you should have the sound bite of your screaming "Oh, yeah!" through your regulator as your phone's ring tone. :)

Looks like you two were having a blast picking fossils from the roads.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken! 

3 hours ago, ToothMan said:

Nice finds! I'll check out the video later, I love watching people fossil hunting on YouTube! What part of Florida if you dont mind me asking? My mother is moving to florida soon and ill be looking for some places to fossil hunt during times I go down to visit her.

Ken already answered it a few posts above, but this is North Central FL.

3 hours ago, ynot said:

Must be nice to be able to hunt fossils in the streets!

Nice video.

It is nice, but it's a little more difficult than this vid makes it seem. It was HOT, and we walked quite a bit to find what we found.

3 hours ago, FossilSniper said:

I liked your video. I wish I had the opportunity to hunt for teeth. Looks like you two had fun!

Thanks! :)

2 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Cris that's pretty awesome. Sounds like you two scored big time.

It was a lot of fun, with a few nice fossils to remember the trip by. 

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

You Floridians are so spoiled!:envy:

Guilty as charged! :D 

40 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

A place where even the roads bear beautiful fossils! Though I guess the odd cut will have a brachiopod or two up here. Nice finds! Especially love the meg and the GW. Did you leave the big whale chunk on the road?  

You caught me! I did leave it there since it didn't have any diagnostic features on it, was heavy, and we had quite a distance back to the vehicle.

• I found this Informative 1

Been a long time since blackriverfossils that I've seen a new video of someone hunting for shark teeth in the southeastern dirt! That full meg is legendary. I absolutely love the light root-dark crown coloring.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

5 hours ago, digit said:

P.S.: To answer @ToothMan, the roads in the video are likely someplace in north central Florida.

Very cool, I did not not know that they did that there with some roads!

Just watched. Very cool video, you guys are funny. Love those teeth!! Thats so cool that you can fossil hunt on stretches of road down there. Ill be on the lookout for your next vid!

3 hours ago, Cris said:

You caught me! I did leave it there since it didn't have any diagnostic features on it, was heavy, and we had quite a distance back to the vehicle.

Hey I won’t tell anyone:D

I personally would have picked it up, as I have a history carrying back big chunks of whale embedded in stone. I saw two turtle scutes embedded in one a month ago, and it took a lot of self restraint not to pick up the big boulder and bring it back. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice finds! 

Love the big bivalve.

Thanks for sharing.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Great video, thanks for posting. I get more excited with the shell discoveries rather that the teeth, I just love fossil shells and when in Florida I collect as many as I can.

8 hours ago, digit said:

And more than just the Florida Keys. They mine the fossil bearing limestone for building roads. If I go out to my mailbox and look in the paved cul-de-sac next to it, I can spot all manner of fossilized shells that were ground up and mixed with tar to make the asphalt with which the street is paved. Then again, if I dig a hole anywhere on my property I'll turn up all sorts of mollusk shells, bivalves and gastropod. On rare occasion I'll find a small piece of coral but I've never found shark teeth.

They say familiarity breeds contempt and though the shells are sometimes quite stunning, it is hard to get too excited as they are just so common--now maybe if my backyard was filled with trilobites. ;):trilo:

Cheers.

-Ken

It does, shells are something I pick up for my David sling, whatever these are, they are beautiful in flight and a 200 yard throw is very possible as it leaves the pouch @ 100 mph. My friend has sharks teeth in his sidewalk.

WIN_20171029_12_47_39_Pro.jpg

These videos are awesome, Cris!  Really fun to watch. 

Nice to see you in action. :) 

BTW, what do you do with all the sunglasses, googles, masks, snorkels from your dive videos?

Also, do the waterproof pouches work for cell phones?

Do the found Go-Pros still work? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

23 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

These videos are awesome, Cris!  Really fun to watch. 

Nice to see you in action. :) 

BTW, what do you do with all the sunglasses, googles, masks, snorkels from your dive videos?

Also, do the waterproof pouches work for cell phones?

Do the found Go-Pros still work? 

Thanks Tim! 

I give away a ton of masks, snorkels, sunglasses, etc. Almost everybody I know, family and friends, wear sunglasses I found in the river. I have also thrown some pairs on eBay and places like that just to pay for gas for additional trips (I love self sustaining hobbies). 

The waterproof pouches are the best for phones, even better than the dedicated "waterproof" cases. I have never found a phone in one of the waterproof cases underwater that would charge, but I've found (and returned) many phones that were in those pouches underwater for months....and they just charged as soon as I plugged them in. They're cheaper than the waterproof cases, and work way better.

All the GoPros I've found work...Props to GoPro for making their waterproof cases the right way. That one GoPro I found was underwater for 3 years and not a single drop of water got in the case.

-Cris

On 6/4/2018 at 3:11 PM, FossilSniper said:

The keys are actually made of ancient coral deposits...  so that's not wrong! :D :rofl:

Yes they are! I just got back from a several-week business trip down there and was going to post about being on a fossil island - literally.  I'll rather just leave these pics here:)

Key Largo Limestone Fm showing fossil corals

Resized_20180606_010629.thumb.jpeg.12c09e8b4b63cb2b38bf57c80892df83.jpeg

Resized_20180520_155429.thumb.jpeg.d2add7544dde7dc68acd0c19fee4c4b2.jpeg

Resized_20180520_155635.thumb.jpeg.7d5a0cfe3001af61a183c753590b8968.jpeg.

6 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Yes they are! I just got back from a several-week business trip down there and was going to post about being on a fossil island - literally.  I'll rather just leave these pics here:)

Key Largo Limestone Fm showing fossil corals

Resized_20180520_155429.thumb.jpeg.d2add7544dde7dc68acd0c19fee4c4b2.jpeg

Resized_20180520_155635.thumb.jpeg.7d5a0cfe3001af61a183c753590b8968.jpeg.

I'm going there this summer! Will drop by Islamorada. I'll see how much my car can haul back home ^_^

7 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Were you tagging these fossil corals with "Peat Wuz Here" or maybe "TFF Rulez"?

I have to say that is the most unusual item for scale I've seen in a photo in a while. :)

I guess I'm just used to living on a fossil coral reef and the novelty of this has worn off over the years. Thanks for reminding me how special that actually is.

Cheers.

-Ken