Jump to content
ToddTheFink

Large prehistoric wasp?

Recommended Posts

ToddTheFink

My wife obtained this in China about 10-15 years ago.  It was said to be from Tibet??  Can anyone here tell us more about it? 

 

It weighs 5.6 lbs.  It's 10" tall and 5 1/2" across at the widest point.  The insect is 2 1/2" across.

IMG_2063.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SULLY

That’s awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

Can we see a picture of the entire piece not so close up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ToddTheFink

IMG_2062.thumb.jpg.d076e98371708ab8d1f286d111ef22bd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LordTrilobite

That's absolutely huge...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doushantuo

yep

First impression:fake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobby Rico

It is really beautiful and I would love it in my collection  but it does look man made to me. Amber is easy faked with plastic. If you want to know if it is real do the hot needle test.  I am no expert but there are members who know their amber. So wait for them to help you.  All the best Bobby 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJB

If its from china, its most likely fake.  I dont mean to be the bearer of bad news, but there are tons of critters in resine coming from china.

 

RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taogan

Looks suspiciously like Polistes gigas, an impressive, but extant wasp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Quite modern and man-made, I think. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ToddTheFink
5 hours ago, Taogan said:

Polistes gigas

Thanks everybody!  Taogan, you may be correct.  If it's Polistes gigas , it must be a male.  I'm reading that they have larger heads and can be 50mm in body length.  Mine measures 2" body length (not wing span, which is what i first posted).  

 

I tried burning a bit of it.  It did burn (held a flame) but i didn't perceive a "pine" scent.  could be plastic etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobby Rico
3 minutes ago, ToddTheFink said:

Thanks everybody!  Taogan, you may be correct.  If it's Polistes gigas , it must be a male.  I'm reading that they have larger heads and can be 50mm in body length.  Mine measures 2" body length (not wing span, which is what i first posted).  

 

I tried burning a bit of it.  It did burn (held a flame) but i didn't perceive a "pine" scent.  could be plastic etc.

Be careful not to damage it.  It is still a beautiful object.  Welcome to the fossil forum from Leicestershire uk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ToddTheFink

I'll take care of it. 

Thanks Bobby!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FranzBernhard

Such an object will puzzle scientist in the very, very far future!

Franz bernhard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
23 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I agree with everyone! Tons of fake amber are being sold from China as if they were authentic. In addition to this, there are even tutorials on youtube teaching how to make your own amber with synthetic resin and in the end with stunning realism

 

 

 

 

One thing I must admit, that is, you have a beautiful object for exhibition, but really if you want an authentic specimen, China is not a good place to get amber... :headscratch:

 

image.thumb.png.a3c2d83c8dda1faceddec78a4876f7f3.png

 

Good advice is to pay more, and try to buy amber from Lithuania. I already bought several European amber and all of them when burned, released a wonderful odor of vegetal resin :wub:.

 

And even if the amber is from Lithuania, I still do not trust it. I always test all the amber I buy! :muahaha:

 

As an example, I show here an amber that is deposited in my private collection, discovered in Palanga, Lithuania, of the Eocene with approximately 44 Million years.

 

image.png.08ba4f77f3c00cf2a974a56dec595859.png

 

Lovely piece you have there, my friend. 

You find these fake amber bits with all sorts of things in them here and in Spain too, occasionally, though where they originate, I don't know. 

Lots of people buy them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Lovely piece you have there, my friend. 

You find these fake amber bits with all sorts of things in them here and in Spain too, occasionally, though where they originate, I don't know. 

Lots of people buy them. 

 

Thank you my friend! In fact, there are currently many tutorials on youtube teaching how to make your own "amber". And after these tuturials came out, I've seen amber containing "dinosaur feathers," "dinosaur scales," and billions of amber, containing mosquitoes with bellies full of dinosaur blood ... You really should be careful when buying amber, regardless of the country in which they are purchased. Huge hug my dear friend from so far away @Tidgy's Dad! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bone guy
48 minutes ago, piranha said:

Is everyone trying to tell me this spectacular Trilobitoides ambradecipiens is not authentic?!?mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo76.gif&t=1528484596&ymreqid=2b37d289-e028-403a-1cb5-40005e01cc00&sig=mXOOreB6HK2kdU3JQcQjuA--~C

honestly I think this is more valuable than any real fossil out there, because it's so hilarious :P:D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
1 hour ago, piranha said:

Is everyone trying to tell me this spectacular Trilobitoides ambradecipiens is not authentic?!?mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo76.gif&t=1528484596&ymreqid=2b37d289-e028-403a-1cb5-40005e01cc00&sig=mXOOreB6HK2kdU3JQcQjuA--~C

 

I confess I've seen many weird things trapped in Chinese amber...

 

image.png.cb0387c35eb45198cae5676213582bc5.png

@Tidgy's Dad

image.png.ca9c79b980391dbe1df753cc6dd4b3ca.png

 

But trilobites ... I never saw no! This species was flying? :blink:

 

:hearty-laugh:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
6 minutes ago, piranha said:

Is everyone trying to tell me this spectacular Trilobitoides ambradecipiens is not authentic?!?mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo76.gif&t=1528484596&ymreqid=2b37d289-e028-403a-1cb5-40005e01cc00&sig=mXOOreB6HK2kdU3JQcQjuA--~C

 

IMG.png.a3702e98f493b9f50d5ec872942f3585.png

Wow! 

Is this one in your collection?

Must be worth a fortune! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
Just now, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

 

I confess I've seen many weird things trapped in Chinese amber...

 

image.png.cb0387c35eb45198cae5676213582bc5.png

@Tidgy's Dad

image.png.ca9c79b980391dbe1df753cc6dd4b3ca.png

 

But trilobites ... I never saw no! This species was flying? :blink:

 

:hearty-laugh:

 

 

The family Arborephacopidae were tree-living.:D

Like some crabs do today. 

 

And one of my ancestors in amber?

yes, i expect they lived in trees.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
40 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The family Arborephacopidae were tree-living.:D

Like some crabs do today. 

 

And one of my ancestors in amber?

yes, i expect they lived in trees.

 

 

Trilobite Arborephacopidae?

 

Ah, this can not be serious! :P

 

:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pemphix
On ‎08‎.‎06‎.‎2018 at 10:11 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wow! 

Is this one in your collection?

Must be worth a fortune! ;)

:hearty-laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×