Memorial Day hunt. Benbrook, TX Duck Creek formation trip 2

KimTexan

18 hours ago, cory76044 said:

fossil.jpg

I’m not sure what that is Cory, but it doesn’t look like a Mortoniceras. It may be difficult to ID with the matrix on it, but maybe @BobWill or @Uncle Siphuncle can give us an idea. I have not come across that type before in the Duck Creek or otherwise. I am curious to know what it is. I think I’ve found fragments of something similar. I’d have to go looking for them though.

It is lovely though.

How big is it?

Can you provide a pic from the side so we can see the width and shape of the whorl? Also one straight down on the center. This one is from an angle.

It looks like it has some pronounced tubercles or horns. I’d have to compare it to my Graysonites, but I don’t think the ribs are wavy on Graysonites.

Very good reporting!! You found my honey hole at Denton creek. I’ve had good luck every time I’ve been up their. This weekend we are going to lake Tacoma for more ammonites. And on our way back we will check out a couple of new locations I’ve been researching. I’m looking for more smaller ammonites as I add them to my art as the center piece.

All of the fossil and minerals we find we either make art or give to three school in Minnesota where I am from. 

Just love the exploring and preparing these 5-50 million year old gifts from god.

enjoy your hunts

E72BFB2C-EEB1-434E-8596-660DC4F6E1C2.jpeg

• 9 months later...
On 6/7/2018 at 7:43 PM, Kane said:

Fashion? Fossil hunting is not a runway. This genderized stuff is pretty 1957. Fossil collecting transcends gender. We take on what is required to get the job done. Being fashionable and fossil collecting should not be in the same sentence. Who are we trying to impress? The goal is to find fossils, and to be safe while doing so. ;):) 

As a woman I can understand. Just incase you run into other people it's in our nature not to look like some poor bag lady. Especially if the only long sock you can find is one of your husbands or whomevers tore up dingy gray ugly old sock. Personally I'd get a nice hand towel fill with some bagged ice and use a pretty bandana to tie it around my neck. LOL