Hiking the Ordovician near Orillia, Ontario

GavySwan

Managed to get out to a site I haven’t been to before, and found lots of cephalopods and gastropods. 

I recently got back into geocaching (my husband and I used to geocache as students about 10 years ago, back when you had to use a handheld gps unit. Now you can just use a smartphone.) 

Anyways, we didn’t collect at this location, since the geocache makes it an excellent learning resource for people who don’t know much about fossils. 

A few photos attached. 

AC591A39-1D8E-484A-B7A0-6A298A759783.jpeg

FEC28542-9065-4434-9B8C-19005E48FBCC.jpeg

64F4BAFD-BF0C-456D-A248-16343CAED4A2.jpeg

21AB0F56-4693-4C71-89F5-25D0DD5D977A.jpeg

3CE00B56-AB60-4A4D-9321-B48E7DD2BF12.jpeg

Nice! 

Some of those  nautiloids are very impressive. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice! 

Some of those  nautiloids are very impressive. 

I’ve never seen so many in one spot! 

That one next to your leg is huge! Thanks for sharing!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

That one next to your leg is huge! Thanks for sharing!

I didn’t have a tape measure, but based on my short little legs it’s about 2.5 ft long, which is definitely impressive. :D

Good stuff.  Thanks for sharing.  Love seeing North American palaeozoic stuff.

3 hours ago, GavySwan said:

Managed to get out to a site I haven’t been to before, and found lots of cephalopods and gastropods. 

I recently got back into geocaching (my husband and I used to geocache as students about 10 years ago, back when you had to use a handheld gps unit. Now you can just use a smartphone.) 

Anyways, we didn’t collect at this location, since the geocache makes it an excellent learning resource for people who don’t know much about fossils. 

A few photos attached. 

Well you certainly did collect a lot of photos. Thanks for sharing them. It looks to me like the shale is fragile and crumbly, so I guess one would have to remove thick blocks in order to be able to save complete specimens.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Looks like solid limestone to me.. ?

In any case, doesn't look like you can extract any of those - too bad!

Great finds. I love pictures of fossils in their matrix!

Thanks for showing us this impressive outcrop. Yes, better to take only pictures there.

Franz Bernhard

Very nice nautiloids. Fossils form my area are very similar to yours! 
I love the nautiloid at the end. :wub:

21 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Well you certainly did collect a lot of photos. Thanks for sharing them. It looks to me like the shale is fragile and crumbly, so I guess one would have to remove thick blocks in order to be able to save complete specimens.

It’s solid limestone (as Wrangellian thought), so I doubt we would have been able to extract anything anyways. There is an active quarry nearby though that I would love to check out. I’m a newbie, not sure how one goes about that sort of thing without a local rock club. 

15 minutes ago, GavySwan said:

There is an active quarry nearby though that I would love to check out. I’m a newbie, not sure how one goes about that sort of thing

You can always try a cold call at the office to ask for permission, but most active quarries will not allow entry to individuals.

You never know if You do not ask.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

How does the area between this outcrop and the quarry look like? Is there any float on the surface? Is it freely accesible? Are there any small creeks in the area? Maybe there are some possibilities to finde loose pieces of this limestone with fossils, perhaps already preped by mother nature?

Franz Bernhard

3 hours ago, GavySwan said:

It’s solid limestone (as Wrangellian thought), so I doubt we would have been able to extract anything anyways. There is an active quarry nearby though that I would love to check out. I’m a newbie, not sure how one goes about that sort of thing without a local rock club. 

Looks like I gotta fix my glasses.

As far as I know, none of the quarries in the area are giving permission right now. You could ask @Northern Sharks. He's active in a local club.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

As ynot mentioned, most quarries nowadays will not allow access to individuals OR clubs for that matter. Unfortunately I don't know of any quarries in that area that will allow access -you're about 15-20 years too late. Your best bet is driving around sideroads and look for small roadcuts or creek beds. Also, the formation up there is Gull River and is not the most fossiliferous to begin with. Gastropods and cephalopods would be the most common finds with the odd trilo-bit to keep your hopes up.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

4 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

As ynot mentioned, most quarries nowadays will not allow access to individuals OR clubs for that matter. Unfortunately I don't know of any quarries in that area that will allow access -you're about 15-20 years too late. Your best bet is driving around sideroads and look for small roadcuts or creek beds. Also, the formation up there is Gull River and is not the most fossiliferous to begin with. Gastropods and cephalopods would be the most common finds with the odd trilo-bit to keep your hopes up.

Thanks very much. Too bad about the quarries, but I figured as much. 

I’m trying to familiarize myself with the geology of Southern Ontario but with no real knowledge of geology in general, it’s a bit tough. Maps abound, but I need to read some basic geology info so I can get a better grasp of it. 

Still—I was glad to find this one little outcropping. I love cephalopods! 

Archived