Curious what this is

Dclark2442

Yes I'm trying to do that. Every time I do it says the file is too large. It's nonmetallic and about 2.5 inches long, 1.5 tall and an inch thick

20180606_091148.jpg

Reminds me of a phosphate nodule.

Where was this found?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

6 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Can we see photos from other angles and something to provide scale?

Welcome to the forum! :)

I see where you're going. The second pic is reminiscent of one of your favorites.

• I found this Informative 1

Is it fairly light as it looks like coal.

Mike 

first pic looks like it shows borings and second pic looks a bit convoluted like a coprolite. Phosphatic material in lag deposits gets beat up and rounded like this. Any more phosphatic or black clasts associated with this? Any other fossils such as shells etc? You should check your state geology map to see what formation is exposed in the area. A phosphatic nodule, as fossildude19 points out, is often a fossil; not just a rock. The borings, if that's what they are, are trace fossils for instance.

2 hours ago, Plax said:

first pic looks like it shows borings and second pic looks a bit convoluted like a coprolite. Phosphatic material in lag deposits gets beat up and rounded like this. Any more phosphatic or black clasts associated with this? Any other fossils such as shells etc? You should check your state geology map to see what formation is exposed in the area. A phosphatic nodule, as fossildude19 points out, is often a fossil; not just a rock. The borings, if that's what they are, are trace fossils for instance.

Agreed. The second photo does look a bit like a coprolite - the others not so much.  What about an ivory fragment?

I will check into it. No other fossils near it. The pond has been dug out several times. Thanks for the help