Some kind of plant?

LiamL

Is this wood? Or some kind of fern plant? 

I collected this at saltwick bay.

9D976935-BB90-4CD8-8174-71777B654478.jpeg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

They're leaves, probably some sort of bennettitale from the Whitby Plant Bed such as Williamsonia but I'm not much good on plants.

Tarquin

8 minutes ago, TqB said:

They're leaves, probably some sort of bennettitale from the Whitby Plant Bed such as Williamsonia but I'm not much good on plants.

Thanks! Im heading back to saltwick bay tomorrow. Went to RHB today but was very low on finds.

14 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Thanks! Im heading back to saltwick bay tomorrow. Went to RHB today but was very low on finds.

Saltwick is one of my favourites, especially as a confirmed belemnite nut. :) RHB is often sparse (but good for belemnites...).

Tarquin

13 minutes ago, TqB said:

Saltwick is one of my favourites, especially as a confirmed belemnite nut. :) RHB is often sparse (but good for belemnites...).

I found a nice big one at portmulgrave, it came out perfectly. Not sure if it’s complete.

8AF38E7A-B99B-491E-A770-EA9FF61683E4.jpeg

1 hour ago, LiamL said:

I found a nice big one at portmulgrave, it came out perfectly. Not sure if it’s complete.

Nice specimen. It seems near complete, with typical crushing around the alveolus. The block looks to be fallen from the Jet Rock/Alum Shale cliffs rather than the Grey Shale - that, and the shape, suggest it's an Acrocoelites sp. They usually, but not always, have three apical furrows.

Most of my belemnites are glued! (The majority have hairline cracks while still in the matrix so will never come out in one piece.)

Tarquin

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2018 at 4:48 PM, TqB said:

Hey Tarquin, I've just taken the plunge and bought a new static ontop of saltwick bay at whitby holiday park. So if you see a young lad collecting down there everyday it's most likely me.

:hammer01: No more buying fossils!

7F672E95-85D7-4F3A-863E-C9153CC7A77C.jpeg

51 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Hey Tarquin, I've just taken the plunge and bought a new static ontop of saltwick bay at whitby holiday park. So if you see a young lad collecting down there everyday it's most likely me.

:hammer01: No more buying fossils!

Good for you! Might see you there - we often park our old Toyota camper on the clifftop when they have space. :)

Tarquin

Archived