3 of the same critter preserved differently?

BuddingPaleo

These are all in the same stone. Wondering if it's 3 different preservation types of the same species. Found in Sw fl, in the sand. Trying to learn to recognize familiar players in their various forms and stages of erosion. Couldn't get the tape measure next to two of them, but they're both 2.5 inches long on the nose. The one that looks like a unicorn horn(w/ tape measure) was what caught my eye, rimmed with grass it really stood out! Its shimmery and beautiful. Is it ok to chip it out? Far from its margins, of course. 3rd pic following...

20180606_122338.jpg

20180606_122108.jpg

Neat finds. Judging by the appearance, you have some high-spired gastropods. The one with the tape measure would be a cross section. It would probably be best to keep the cross sectioned one in the matrix. As for the first one, it may be possible to remove it from the matrix, but it might be risky as it may break apart. I'm uncertain about the third item, which seems to be an impression of... something!

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The brick is about a foot long and about 2 or 3lbs, my living room looks like a craggy shore! Lol was thinking I could maybe chisel a few inches away from it. Oh well. As for the steinkern, I have tons of em, was just going to leave it. Was hoping they were all the same species. Thanks for the input!

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I'm uncertain about the third item, which seems to be an impression of... something!

I think it may be the external of the same spires.

Right side of top photo.

I know this is wishful thinking, but maybe the 3rd one is some kind of straight-shelled cephalopod? Not sure though :headscratch:  

• I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Oh my, I certainly hope not. I googled it. If it is, then I've thrown back some things I wanna cry over...now I'm going to have to go try and find them...hard learning! Lol if I find them I'll post pics.

20 minutes ago, BuddingPaleo said:

Oh my, I certainly hope not. I googled it. If it is, then I've thrown back some things I wanna cry over...now I'm going to have to go try and find them...hard learning! Lol if I find them I'll post pics.

Found in FL. You're safe. It's not.

2 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

I know this is wishful thinking, but maybe the 3rd one is some kind of straight-shelled cephalopod? Not sure though :headscratch:  

Definitely not. It's an external mold of the outer whorls of a gastropod.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

@Ludwigia Yeah, I see it now - sorry 'bout the cephalopod false ID, my bad :blush: - I don't know very much about gastropods...

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I've learned a ton because of you guys today. Thanks so much for your input. I'm really trying to learn to recognize bits and bobs, and having three different types of fossilization in the same piece in such good condition would be an easy awesome reference, if they're all similar species. Was hoping for the same. Guess life's never laid out quite that perfectly. Lol 

5 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

@Ludwigia Yeah, I see it now - sorry 'bout the cephalopod false ID, my bad :blush: - I don't know very much about gastropods...

No need to apologize. It certainly does have a similarity in form to orthoceratid cephalopods, but the whorls, or septa, are different. By gastropods, they are spiral, by cephalopods, horizontal. We live and learn.

I'm not sad about it at all The Amateur Paleontologist.  Now I know a lot more about cephalopods, which I wouldn't have. I think that's wesome! Thank you.

1 minute ago, BuddingPaleo said:

I'm not sad about it at all The Amateur Paleontologist.  Now I know a lot more about cephalopods, which I wouldn't have. I think that's wesome! Thank you.

That's the spirit!

That's a nice specimen! I'm inclined to believe that it might be a turritellid gastropod revealing dome shaped septa. :)

20180606_122108.jpg.a6b9ec00dc3df853500f15b21b30ef71.thumb.jpg.aeec133f4c12dc9ebab04de0c9bd0e69.jpg5b18624f1a334_Figure1.thumb.jpg.1c052136c5d02007d3c1f345820a37c3.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yeah, now I remember the thing of differing septa shapes and orientation between cephalopods and gastropods. Thanks for reminding me - I do after all have several orthoceratids in my collection, I should've just taken a look at one of them and I'd have remembered. Thanks again for the help, @Ludwigia :)

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I agree with the others and believe they are most likely the same species but just to be clear about terminology the first is an internal mold and the third is an external cast. Judging from the shadows it appears that they are both convex rather than impressions in the rock but that is not always obvious from a photo. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

BobWill, The first is flat to the stone, looks like inlay on a table. Third is an impression. It reminds me of the silver layer on an untrimmed rack of ribs, if that makes any sense...it does in my head. Lol 

2 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Don't feel bad...if it was found up here in Minnesota, I'd think the 3rd photo was a ceph as well. :)

5 hours ago, BuddingPaleo said:

BobWill, The first is flat to the stone, looks like inlay on a table. Third is an impression. It reminds me of the silver layer on an untrimmed rack of ribs, if that makes any sense...it does in my head. Lol 

Okay, now I'm hungry!  If you mean that the third one forms a cavity in the rock then Ludwigia is correct with external mold instead of cast.

13 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I think it may be the external of the same spires.

Right side of top photo.

Good morning folks.:)