Gorgonops/Styracosaurus Skull

Masp

Interesting thing I came across today.  Looks pretty cool but I’m not sure if I can what it really is. 

Only labeled as: of Theropod or Ceratopsian Species - Found in.

American Northwest find. 100% natural. 

What do you guys think?

7DC1EA11-8944-4912-9C89-0BE2A70BF56E.jpeg

08F953BD-C113-49EC-8C72-1B27CE469596.jpeg

D41AD135-9222-4D7E-80D9-47D7A8EB98EB.jpeg

7E4615C4-42F7-4BAB-AB6F-A8DC75B8B794.jpeg

Was someone selling this? Do you know what formation it came from?

The label or your tag (Permian) has problems as theropods and Ceratopsians did exist until the Jurassic.

Please provide a scale.

Before we look at the exterior shape you need to convince us that this is bone. Please provide clear close-up photos of several surfaces where you can see the porous bone. Include a photo of the lower right part of the first photo where I see darker beige stone surrounded by a lighter exterior layer.

Note, lots of chert nodules have light colored rinds. Could this be chert?

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Looks like limestone, to me. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

11 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The label or your tag (Permian) has problems as theropods and Ceratopsians did exist until the Jurassic.

Please provide a scale.

Before we look at the exterior shape you need to convince us that this is bone. Please provide clear close-up photos of several surfaces where you can see the porous bone. Include a photo of the lower right part of the first photo where I see darker beige stone surrounded by a lighter exterior layer.

The information there is what I just copied and pasted from the seller, I didn’t read it. Also apologies for the tag I put Permian because of gorgonopisd,  so I didn’t really pay attention to the small material detailed.  That info is the only info provided. If anyone’s curious on the matter,  I can more than happily message the seller and ask for more info and beter pics. 

24 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Please provide a scale.

Note, lots of chert nodules have light colored rinds. Could this be chert?

I just messaged the seller for more info and pics. Honestly I’m not interested in purchasing the the specimen, but you don’t really come across these kinds of things often, so I’m interesting in learning about it. 

Whatever it is. I don't think those photos are good enough to identify it as anything.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Sellers Response: Flagstaff, Arizona

“This was found by me. I will not give you exact geographical location however in flagstaff area between chinle and verde formations, within a about a hundred miles WestSW of Peteified Forest; near & south from lava tubes; 50-100 miles from Meteor Crater and others. It was found near soda ash rock cliff in a mountainous forest where there are small downward creeks and many springs.”

Said she couldn’t send pictures at the moment because she’s away 

We await new pictures.

Her answer for the locality info, both geologic and geographic, seems rather evasive, odd and not very helpful. Realize that almost all the land in that area is public where you cannot collect vertebrate fossils without a permit and can never sell them. About the only statement that is clearly correct is that it is "all natural".

May we ask how much she is asking for this probable chert nodule?

Note that the Kaibab Limestone that occurs in the Flagstaff area has lots of chert nodules that look not too unlike the rock pictured.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

13 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

We await new pictures.

Her answer for the locality info, both geologic and geographic, seems rather evasive, odd and not very helpful. R ealize that almost all the land in that area is public where you cannot collect vertebrate fossils without a permit and can never sell them. About the only statement that is clearly correct is that it is "all natural".

May we ask how much she is asking for this probable chert nodule?

Note that the Kaibab Limestone that occurs in the Flagstaff area has lots of chert nodules that look not too unlike the rock pictured.

So she followed up the message saying that she tells people the location but only after the purchase. She’s asking $525 or best offor. 

In the meantime she sent some pictures of more specimens she will soon post. 

5B04E0E8-E585-417A-9EA3-BF4B3D817B02.jpeg

The last three photos also look like Kaibab Formation chert nodules that are not worth $5 let alone $525. Take a pass. No bone texture visible in any of these.

There is not one splinter of bone between all the pictures the seller supplied.

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

18 minutes ago, Auspex said:

There is not one splinter of bone between all the pictures the seller supplied.

Lol 100% agreed

23 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The last three photos also look like Kaibab Formation chert nodules that are not worth $5 let alone $525. Take a pass. No bone texture visible in any of these.

No worries,  I wasn’t even considering buying it before hand,  I just thought would be interesting to post here since we don’t see a lot of these kinds of gorgonops claims...thanks for your input! 

• I found this Informative 1