Is my coprolite real?

Daniel Mendez

Hello, yesterday they gave me a coprolite, I never had any, so I do not know if it's real. regards

15283202056791172232136.jpg

1528320318676583839895.jpg

Gosh, I hope they don't come out looking like that. Seems like it would be painful.

Then again, it would explain why they died out.:wacko:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I haven't seen any studies on the coprolites of that type from Madagascar. I have (and have seen) siderite "coprolites" like these from all over the world. Best I can do is give you a maybe. I haven't seen anything that can definitively prove they are coprolites, but also have not seen incontrovertible evidence that they are not. 

Hello my friend @Daniel Mendez. Welcome to TFF, and receive a warm hug from here of Argentina! :wub:

The Chinese sellers who usually import these alleged turtle coprolites are unanimous in stating that these alleged coprolites come from the Besayoko region of Mahjanga in Madagascar, dating from the late Cretaceous to the Paleocene - between 72 and 61 million years.

But here in the forum there is no unanimity if they really are coprolites. We have already discussed much of these alleged coprolites in other topics without reaching any conclusion...

My opinion? Yes, I really think they are coprolites, after all, they are always found in a format typical of coprolites, and I have never seen one that did not have the typical format, so I guess it's not a just coincidence ...

image.png.41fdca247c86c3a9b5db7d4a803b24bf.png

For you to have a notion better than I'm talking about, I put here two wonderful examples that are deposited in my private collection.

image.png.dd480de3560e6c5f69f1e52bc2afb8a9.png

image.thumb.png.dbc3158b41db798edd58c3c85f47c1d6.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Just now, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Hello my friend @Daniel Mendez. Welcome to TFF, and receive a warm hug from here of Argentina! :wub:

The Chinese sellers who usually import these alleged turtle coprolites are unanimous in stating that these alleged coprolites come from the Besayoko region of Mahjanga in Madagascar, dating from the late Cretaceous to the Paleocene - between 72 and 61 million years.

But here in the forum there is no unanimity if they really are coprolites. We have already discussed much of these alleged coprolites in other topics without reaching any conclusion...

My opinion? Yes, I really think they are coprolites, after all, they are always found in a format typical of coprolites, and I have never seen one that did not have the typical format, so I guess it's not a just coincidence ...

image.png.41fdca247c86c3a9b5db7d4a803b24bf.png

For you to have a notion better than I'm talking about, I put here two wonderful examples that are deposited in my private collection.

Love the photo! :)

Tidgy sometimes poops in the bath and it looks like this.

I used to have what purported to be a Madagascan turtle coprolite and I like to believe they're for real. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

14 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Love the photo! :)

Tidgy sometimes poops in the bath and it looks like this.

I used to have what purported to be a Madagascan turtle coprolite and I like to believe they're for real. 

Beautiful hat my eternal and dear friend @Tidgy's Dad :D! Actually I do not only like to think they are real coprolites, but also I am particularly convinced that they really are. But unfortunately Madagascar is more concerned with the tons of exports than with scientific studies, so much so that the sauropods and many other fossils are disappearing from there, but this is not due to commercialization released, but rather the lack of investment in science even for researches . After all, if the fossil sale ban was to solve something, the fossils of the Chapada do Araripe in Ceará, Brazil would not be disappearing, and of course, someone is gaining a lot with so much prohibition...

Who knows if in the future we may finally have some scientific work about these coprolites? Huge hug!

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Just now, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Beautiful hat my eternal and dear friend @Tidgy's Dad :D! Actually I do not only like to think they are real coprolites, but also I am particularly convinced that they really are. But unfortunately Madagascar is more concerned with the tons of exports than with scientific studies, so much so that the sauropods and many other fossils are disappearing from there, but this is not due to commercialization released, but rather the lack of investment in science even for researches . Who knows if in the future we may finally have some scientific work? Huge hug!

Someone will get around to doing the science eventually.

Same as here in Morocco.

Probably. 

Hugs back, my friend from far away. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived