This is one for the ages! (Maybe?)

Bone guy

I found this jaw while wandering the auction formation. It's labeled as Manemergus, a plesiosaur similar to Trinacromerum! I have an interest in plesiosaurs so this would be a dream come true if the ID is correct. Also, the two teeth are associated. The seller did not disclose the locality which is concerning, and a size measurement is not told so you'll have to use the hands as judgement. 

IMG_0941.PNG

IMG_0942.PNG

IMG_0943.PNG

IMG_0944.PNG

IMG_0945.PNG

IMG_0946.PNG

Looks Moroccan to me. I'd be a little reserved if he's not willing to give you the site information. Does he at least give the stratigraphy? At least it's obvious that its been restored. Looks like the id could be correct, since they do come out of Morocco, but I'm no great expert there.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Only described from the Goulmima assemblage of the Kem Kem beds so locality is very important to know.  Have not seen the paper describing it.

I have a fondness for Sauropterygia as well,and the Buchy 2005 paper is a Palaeontographica one.

***("heavÿ paywall" emoticon here) ***

Cant help for the ID, but bad prep job and I really dont like the stain job either.

RB

Can't help with ID, but IMO (although I'm no expert) the space in between each tooth socket is way too thin. Might be wrong, but that's just the feeling I'm getting.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

55 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Aw man, looks like they prepped right through the only tooth still in the jaw. Bummer :/ Can't help with the ID, but if you like it, that's really all that matters!

I think they removed both of the teeth during preparation. Why? I have no idea. I think I would want to send this away to a professional to see if the bad prepping can be undone. 

It looks as though the one was a recessed tooth—I know there's a proper term for that, but I can't recall it as vertebrates are not really my niche. It would appear that whoever prepped it, just assumed there were no teeth and went in to prep out the sockets without realizing there was a recessed tooth until they had already removed the end of it. That would also appear to be the case for another one as well.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Thats a bummer, but still it's a pretty cool jaw. Plus the seller just got back to me and said this was found from the Goulmima/Asfla region which is consistent with the genus. 

Archived