A successful hunting day in the area of Antwerp!

belemniten

I already posted this hunting trip at the Zandmotor on my last vacation:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/85026-a-beautiful-day-at-the-zandmotor/

I also visited some other locations like a sand pit near Antwerp (Belgium). This was my fourth visit there and probably the most successful until now :)

The Miocene, Pliocene sand was washed up from the extension of Churchill dock and as you can see the area is very overgrown. You can still find there many shark teeth, bones and bivalves. I mainly concentrated on finding shark teeth.

Here is picture of the location:

1555.thumb.jpg.b07564c29f6411b6938f967c53c261e9.jpg

This is a picture of my last visit there last year, because my pictures from this visit are all too blurred :(

But the situation didnt change much. 

I think that the best method to find something there is to dig a bit and sieve the material. Too bad that I destroyed my sieve more or at the beginnig of the day:

6.thumb.jpg.931df2953b3ef956864ef447eb2c3806.jpg

After that I had to search on the surface but nevertheless I managed to find some cool teeth :D
This was the find of the day:

2.thumb.jpg.9e41f449b524bb93e9486915eceff562.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.503483665f4d70c838a95bd66647016b.jpg

Could this be a tooth of Isurus Hastalis? I am not sure....

Its about 4.6 cm long :D :D :D I was super happy that I could find such a beautiful and big tooth !!

Here is my total haul:

5.thumb.jpg.c09844ee6a5fb044ae8e2f40be3144c0.jpg

And here are some more of the better finds:

2.thumb.jpg.cbc7fa15bcced52067f6be0a33488acb.jpg

A 4 cm long Isurus Oxynchus:

1.thumb.jpg.94eca23a13845d090e22d5b73f63e744.jpg

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

This is a 3 cm long tooth with beautiful colors:

1.thumb.jpg.6e5e48efecbea8e4aca8f33f735309a8.jpg

I love the contrast between the blue tip and the black root :wub:

Another common find is Carcharias acutissimus:

This one is about 1.5 cm long and is very well preserved:

5.thumb.jpg.340c7f6b08e63c753b1ddd1971488259.jpg

I am also pleased that I could find some Galeocerdo Aduncus teeth:

1.thumb.jpg.aa3b2e151953a28f763ec66c457d2fe7.jpg

The biggest one is about 2 cm long.

3.thumb.jpg.143209641597b86c22683c76f1f2401a.jpg

I will add some more pictures in the next days !

Thanks for viewing ! Hope you enjoyed some of the pictures :D

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Those are some neat finds, Seb :) Good job

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

10 minutes ago, belemniten said:

Could this be a tooth of Isurus Hastalis? I am not sure....

Yeah, though it’s mostly called Carcharodon hastalis now. It’s a very nice one too! In this picture, you appear to have a partial cow shark tooth and that serrated tooth could be a meg? Do you have a picture of that one alone?  Nice finds!

4CEA2348-41D8-4167-8D28-1FA99E6E55B8.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Really nice finds and great photos too. :)

Love your reports.

Cheers,

Adam 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Those are some neat finds, Seb :) Good job

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah, though it’s mostly called Carcharodon hastalis now. It’s a very nice one too! In this picture, you appear to have a partial cow shark tooth and that serrated tooth could be a meg? Do you have a picture of that one alone?  Nice finds!

4CEA2348-41D8-4167-8D28-1FA99E6E55B8.jpeg

Thanks for your ID help ! 

Yes I think that is a meg tooth, but its broken ... :(

13.thumb.jpg.786492c778ac498be0b36e2433951f09.jpg

I think I found plenty partial cow shark tooth. Too bad that I couldnt find a whole one. Next time ... ;)

18 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Really nice finds and great photos too. :)

Love your reports.

Cheers,

Adam 

Thanks for your kind words :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

3 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Woah! Those shark teeth are excellent! 

Thanks ! I love shark teeth in general ! Especially if they have such nice colors ... Its a pity that I cant find shark teeth nearer to my place.

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Great trip report. That looks like a fun place to hunt. 

Awesome haul, especially for one without a sieve to help you!

Well done Sebastian!

You definitely did much better than my last time in Antwerp, a few weeks ago, where the only "worthy" vertebrate find was a small tiger shark tooth. Otherwise only small worn teeth. I did find a lot of cool and interesting shells, but vertebrate-wise it was a poor hunt. 

Talking about invertebrates, I actually think that your best find of the day is invertebrate too!

5.thumb.jpg.c09844ee6a5fb044ae8e2f40be3144c0.thumb.jpg.df49ecd77451d8cc7629cfeefe6caeb8.jpg

The thing I circled here is a cool Miocene-Pliocene brachiopod of the species Pliothyrina sowerbyana!  It is one of the few brachiopod species still alive in the Neogene. 

These are not too uncommon on the beaches of Zeeland, but I've never seen or heard of one coming out of Antwerp! That's awesome!!! 

You did well to pick this thing up and keep it ;) 

(Then again, I am not so familiar with Antwerp yet, so it is possible that this brachiopod is actually a common find in Antwerp, and that I am simply not aware of it being so)

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

@WhodamanHD cowshark teeth, especially the Notorhynchus cepedianus species, are actually not so uncommon this side of the big pond. In Europe, they are significantly more common than in the US. Finding fragments is therefore not uncommon. Of course, finding a nice complete one will definitely make your day!

I don't know why these cowshark teeth are more common in Europe than in the US. Just like I don't know why snaggletooth shark teeth are readily found in the US, while they are exceedingly rare in Europe. To me it's still a mystery :headscratch:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

I don't know why these cowshark teeth are more common in Europe than in the US. Just like I don't know why snaggletooth shark teeth are readily found in the US, while they are exceedingly rare in Europe. To me it's still a mystery

Possibly just a difference in salinity.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

Well done Sebastian!

You definitely did much better than my last time in Antwerp, a few weeks ago, where the only "worthy" vertebrate find was a small tiger shark tooth. Otherwise only small worn teeth. I did find a lot of cool and interesting shells, but vertebrate-wise it was a poor hunt. 

Talking about invertebrates, I actually think that your best find of the day is invertebrate too!

5.thumb.jpg.c09844ee6a5fb044ae8e2f40be3144c0.thumb.jpg.df49ecd77451d8cc7629cfeefe6caeb8.jpg

The thing I circled here is a cool Miocene-Pliocene brachiopod of the species Pliothyrina sowerbyana!  It is one of the few brachiopod species still alive in the Neogene. 

These are not too uncommon on the beaches of Zeeland, but I've never seen or heard of one coming out of Antwerp! That's awesome!!! 

(Then again, I am not so familiar with Antwerp yet, so it is possible that this brachiopod is actually a common find in Antwerp, and that I am simply not aware of it being so)

Best regards,

Max

Good spot! 

That's yummy! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Great trip report. That looks like a fun place to hunt. 

Thanks ! Its indeed a great place to collect :)

4 hours ago, Vieira said:

Nice trip report and fantastic finds :dinothumb:

Thanks for sharing

4 hours ago, Bguild said:

Wow, great haul! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you :ighappy:

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Well done Sebastian!

Best regards,

Max

Thank you so much ! Especially for your ID help :)

Thats very interesting ! I already had the suspicion that it might be a brachiopod but I never thought that it might be rare ! Then this is the only rare brachiopod in my collection besides thousands of other brachiopods :D
You have good eyes and an awesome knowledge ! :faint:

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

1 hour ago, Auspex said:

Possibly just a difference in salinity.

Or water temperature.

Nice finds, Sebastian.

Would like to see pictures of the megs.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

7 hours ago, belemniten said:

Thanks for your ID help ! 

Yes I think that is a meg tooth, but its broken ... :(

13.thumb.jpg.786492c778ac498be0b36e2433951f09.jpg

I think I found plenty partial cow shark tooth. Too bad that I couldnt find a whole one. Next time ... ;)

I megs a meg, I think it’s quite nice! I wish you luck on finding a complete cow shark tooth!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

@WhodamanHD cowshark teeth, especially the Notorhynchus cepedianus species, are actually not so uncommon this side of the big pond. In Europe, they are significantly more common than in the US. Finding fragments is therefore not uncommon. Of course, finding a nice complete one will definitely make your day!

I don't know why these cowshark teeth are more common in Europe than in the US. Just like I don't know why snaggletooth shark teeth are readily found in the US, while they are exceedingly rare in Europe. To me it's still a mystery :headscratch:

There must be some reason for it, but it eludes me for now. Cows are (relatively) common on the beach I hunt, I’ve found one every trip for a then past few. But, elsewhere on the cliffs they seem more uncommon.

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Nice finds, Sebastian.

Would like to see pictures of the megs.

Thanks Tony :)

But which megs do you mean? :headscratch:

6 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I megs a meg, I think it’s quite nice! I wish you luck on finding a complete cow shark tooth!

Thanks !

Here is the only complete one I have found until now:

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

4 minutes ago, belemniten said:

Here is the only complete one I have found until now:

That’s a symphyseal! Very very nice, those are much rarer than regular cow shark teeth!

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Not sure they are megs, but the 2 circled in red.....

5.thumb.jpg.c09844ee6a5fb044ae8e2f40be3144c0.thumb.jpg.b4a93c3aab23f394c271b1845f9d13d1.jpg

The one @WhodamanHD already circled is a meg tooth and I already showed a picture of it above. I think that the other one you circled isn't a meg. You can see it on the other group picture (the one with the coin).

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

3 minutes ago, belemniten said:

The one @WhodamanHD already circled is a meg tooth and I already showed a picture of it above. I think that the other one you circled isn't a meg. You can see it on the other group picture (the one with the coin).

Whoops!  I guess @Fossildude19 is right, I do need glasses.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just now, ynot said:

Whoops!  I guess @Fossildude19 is right, I do need glasses.

:D:D  

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

20 hours ago, belemniten said:

Thank you so much ! Especially for your ID help :)

Thats very interesting ! I already had the suspicion that it might be a brachiopod but I never thought that it might be rare ! Then this is the only rare brachiopod in my collection besides thousands of other brachiopods :D
You have good eyes and an awesome knowledge ! :faint:

As I said I am not 100% sure if it is rare or not! I just never heard of one being found there, which is why I am assuming that this is a rare find. 

But again, I may be wrong.

Thank you though, and you're welcome ;) 

Max Derème

Archived